Best versions of Buffy and Angel boxsets?

NicolasB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I realise that aspects of this have been discussed before, but it's sometimes been ambiguous and never all happened in the same place, so:

If buying "Buffy The vampire slayer" and "Angel" boxed sets (and ignoring the release date issue for the moment) which regions/versions are preferable in terms of content, and of video and audio quality? (I suspect from previous discussions that the answer may vary from season to season).

Any chance of a consensus?

:laugh: :rotfl:

Well, okay. Any chance of some lively discussion, then? :)

Forgetting any sound/picture differences - the R1's are about £35, the R2's are £60 or £70.

I have

Buffy -

Series 1 - R1
Series 2 - R1
Series 3-5 - R2

I only started watching the show about 18 months ago so bought the DVDs as they were released basically.

I got the R1 discs cos they were cheaper and have better packaging (IMO) but bought R2 because they were released much, much sooner.

I've just bought Angel s3 on R2 and will probably buy s1 and 2 on R1 as they are cheaper. I'll wait for s2 to be released over there because I'm not too bothered about getting it right now.

I've compared pic/sound quality of R1 Buffy series 1 and the difference is very negligible.
R1's have more features but tbh you wouldn't watch them more than twice. Just a few more interviews (maybe 10 minutes in total that weren't on the r2 version)

IMO go for R1 but get R2 if you can't wait for them to be released over there (and don't mind paying more)

You are forgetting the most important aspect - packaging! The Region Two versions kick ass! :clap: :D

I have Buffy 1 & 2 on region one - all the rest are region two as I got sick of waiting.

There are some very minor differences on the early Buffy discs - check out dvd compare for details.

But basically I think the price and the release schedule are the only differences... you either pay more or wait.

I think them book insert cases for the R2's are rubbish- DVD's can get scratched. Looks nice, but in practice they're not a great design.

R2 packaging is far superior to the R1 version IMO, R2 is out a lot earlier and R2 is definitely 16:9 for the latter seasons of Angel & Buffy.

Surely the only instance of R2 being better than R1.

The R1 version of Angel has some kick ass LFE sounds though, best on any TV DVD I've ever heard. I'd go with R2 NicholasB every time, the booklet design is much more user friendly.

I was going to order series 1-3 R1 from CDWOW (just less than £80) however I was wondering whether I should order them separately or am I ok ordering in bulk order.

I remember posts saying CDWOW automatically sort your order out so you dont get stung by customs, I thought it best to ask!!

Also, how much replay value are on the discs, I have been a big fan of the series however I have a nasty feeling I will watch them and realise I have seen most of the episodes from TV and be disappointed. Prob my brain automatically kicking in for continually loading my credit card!

Lippy

Buffy season 4 r1 will be 4:3.

R2 packaging is excellent, and discs cannot get scratched from season 3 onwards. All angel boxsets are scratchproof.

If you have an iterlaced display, the PAL versions have pull down (judder) removed. On a 56inch display, this is a big bonus:).

I agree with apoc regarding the sound quality, my hgs15 loves angel:)

The pic quality on season 3, as has been said before in a previous post, is reference for a TV show.

Assuming DVDCompare is accurate, Buffy Season 3 looks to be a real head-scratcher: R1 has extra material (interviews) but has the wrong title music on 2 episodes and lacks any of the "previously on Buffy..." introductions.

(sigh)

Like John Crichton says "It should be easy; it's never easy...."

Originally posted by NicolasB
Assuming DVDCompare is accurate, Buffy Season 3 looks to be a real head-scratcher: R1 has extra material (interviews) but has the wrong title music on 2 episodes and lacks any of the "previously on Buffy..." introductions.

(sigh)

Like John Crichton says "It should be easy; it's never easy...."

Any Buffy/Angel fan worth his/her salt doesn't need the annoying "previously on ............" bits.

Originally posted by Apocalypse
Any Buffy/Angel fan worth his/her salt doesn't need the annoying "previously on ............" bits.

We don't need the credits, or the animated menus, or the extra features either, but they are nice to have...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom