Best version. of Untouchables (1987)?

I see, thanks!

I just did a calculation: The JP vers. with HD tracks would amount to approx £24 incl. import tax and VAT whereas the regular vers., at current price is £8.30.

Last edited:
Oh, same question for Never Say Never Again (1983):

The US release is Fox so likely to be Region A locked. The Scandinavian release is suitable for all regions and has the same DTS HD MA 5.1 soundtrack and same special features.

The US release is Fox so likely to be Region A locked. The Scandinavian release is suitable for all regions and has the same DTS HD MA 5.1 soundtrack and same special features.

@stulou:

Could you help me find a Scandinavian realease with HD Audio?

Last edited:

I have the U.S. version of Never Say Never Again, as well as the German and the cut UK versions... The U.S. disc is indeed region A locked.

The best version (got a feeling in my bones lol) will come next year with a 4K, 35th Anniversary release.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
---- Deleted this post as I've worked it out and now has an HD Track on my MKV rip of Untouchables (1987). :clap: ----

Last edited:
Just found this thread after searching for possible reviews, the film is on UK iTunes sale at £3.99. The trailer is old so can’t tell if the quality but it’s in 4k Dolby Vision but no Atmos track. May as well get it at that price.

Laughter? tsk-tsk! Don't you know our Mark is an expert and connoisseur when it comes to picture quality and technical sh*t? :)
I'm watching minority report on bluray. It's a great movie but truly awful picture quality. Spielberg has always said he wanted the picture to be the way it is. Let's face it he got it wrong. It's the first digital movie and he made a mess of it but he'll never admit it. It's pointless doing a full reconstruction as the original master is awful quality. Therefore it can only be improved awful but always terrible. Then again it's digital so what do people really expect.
Minority report is a truly great movie. It's such a pity we will never see it looking as good as a 70 year old film.
Thankfully speilberg has seen the light and finally gone back to celluloid. I'll wager he wishes he made minority report on celluloid.

'Minority Report' was not shot digitally, it was shot on film.

And no one "got it wrong".

The film's high high contrast look and desaturated colors were a conscious creative choice and were achieved by deliberately over-lighting the film and by bleach-bypassing the film's negative in post-production and destaurating the colour by around 40% to suit the film noir-ish look that Spielberg wanted for the film. It was also shot on high-speed Super 35 format film to deliberately increase the overall grain in the picture.

Dontcha just love internet "experts" like our Mark? ;)

Sadly, thanks to Sony, [A Matter of Life and Death] it’s still an inferior print to the region locked criterion release.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

You still insist on spouting this nonsense don't you? Doubtless like all your other "reviews" where you haven't actually seen/heard the product in question.

Here are the technical specs for the Criterion disc. Note one subtly highligted word....

"This new digital restoration, supervised by Grover Crisp, was created in 4K resolution at Sony Pictures Entertainment. The original 35mm three-strip Technicolor negatives were scanned at Cineric in New York on the facility's proprietary 4K high-dynamic-range wet-gate film scanner. An earlier photochemical restoration -- by Sony Pictures Entertainment, the British Film Institute, and the Academy Film Archive, with the participation of Jack Cardiff -- was used as a color reference. The original monaural soundtrack was remastered from a 35mm nitrate variable-density optical soundtrack print at Deluxe Audio Services in Hollywood, using the iZotope mastering suite in addition to Capstan for music wow.

Restoration supervisor: Grover Crisp.
Consultant: Thelma Schoonmaker.
Colorist: Sheri Eisenberg/Deluxe Culver City, CA.
Digital restoration: L'Immagine Ritrovata, Bologna, Italy;
additional digital restoration was performed at Deluxe and MTI Film, Hollywood.
Audio engineer: Jim Young/Deluxe.
Audio engineering assistance: Brian Jensen/Deluxe."

And here are the technical specs for the ITV release...

"A Matter of Life and Death was restored in 4K by Sony Pictures Entertainment. Inspection, repair and 4K scanning of the 35mm Nitrate 3-Strip Technicolor Picture Negative by Cineric, Inc., New York. Soundtrack restored from the 35mm Nitrate Variable Density Optical Soundtrack Negative at Deluxe Audio, Hollywood. Digital image restoration by L’Immagine Ritrovato, Bologna, Italy and MTI Film, Hollywood. Digital conforming, color grading, additional image restoration, DCP and UHD at Deluxe Culver City with colorist Sheri Eisenberg."

It's the same bloody master used for both. The only way the Criterion release is "superior" is that it has a few more extras. The image quality is exactly the same on both. All of which you have previously been told on another thread, the first time you came out with this nonsense.

The best version (got a feeling in my bones lol) will come next year with a 4K, 35th Anniversary release.
Don’t stop there: Dances With Wolves next please.

And Last Of The Mohicans...and North By Norhtwest...And Once Upon A Time In The West...And.....And....( Unless your bones only work with Costner?) :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom