Best vegetarian sausages?

Penski

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been eyeing the 'Best sausage' thread with some envy and then had the idea to create one for best vegetarian sausage.

So far best I've come across are the Linda McCartney Vegetarian sausages that come in a small pack of 6.

Would love to find some better - any recommendations?
IDShot_540x540.jpg

Linda McCartney are my fave still. I've been buying veggie alternatives for nearly 30 years now and they are probably the best I've come across. Tivall make nice veggie stuff and they do a reasonable hot dog style sausage and a lovely slicing sausage but I don't think they do a regular one which is a shame.

I've been vegetarian for two months now and I like the Linda McCartney sausages... but am open to alternatives...

#noobieveggie

i prefer her red onion and rosemary ones...also like glamorgan sausages which most supermarkets do...

to be fair, the quorn stuff seems to have improved these days...

i prefer her red onion and rosemary ones...also like glamorgan sausages which most supermarkets do...

I'm not sure the sausages have. I used to quite like them when they first appeared many years ago but they seem to have changed them to a more paste like consistency over recent years. I do like the frankfurter ones found vacuum packed in the chilled section though as well as the Quorn hot dogs Ikea sell, which are similar but I don't think quite the same.

+1 for Cauldron. Originally, we used to buy Linda McCartney's but they are a poor substitute for Cauldron.

I bake such Cauldron Sausages on a baking rack/tray for 20 Minutes at 200c Fan. There's no need to brush them will oil. I defy you to tell the difference between them and authentic Pork sausages.

Big fan of the LM red onion and rosemary sausages here - I am not vegetarian and enjoy these, sometimes have instead of meat based sausages.

Vegan here and I absolutely love the Cauldron Mediterranean vegetable sausages. They have a smoky chorizo taste that's very unique.

Just to update this the Richmond veggie sausages are rather good. I say that as a non-veg.

I'm quite a fan of Quorn hot dogs!

But my local Asda, which is the size of an aircraft hangar, hasn't had them for weeks now....:(

I came across the Richmond sausages while placing my last Tesco order and tried them over the weekend, very nice.

I'm quite a fan of Quorn hot dogs!

But my local Asda, which is the size of an aircraft hangar, hasn't had them for weeks now....:(

Sainsburys sell these ones now, or at least they did just prior to lockdown so I assume they still do. They aren't cheap but are very good indeed. It's over 30 years since I've had a meat hotdog but based on what I can remember, these are very convincing.

Being a vegan I have found The Beyond Sausages (same company as the burgers) to be probably the best I have had but lordy are they expensive at £5 for two. They are quite large though. :thumbsup:

I have tried the Beyond burger from Tesco given how favourable the reviews were but I wasn't overly impressed, perhaps I cooked them incorrectly. My absolute favourite food was the M&S garlic kiev, simply amazing. I'm not sure if they still do them, given the lock down I haven't been out. When Ocado start delivering M&S food I hope they're available!

I have tried the Beyond burger from Tesco given how favourable the reviews were but I wasn't overly impressed, perhaps I cooked them incorrectly. My absolute favourite food was the M&S garlic kiev, simply amazing. I'm not sure if they still do them, given the lock down I haven't been out. When Ocado start delivering M&S food I hope they're available!
Yeh, I can’t stand the Beyond Burgers. They leave an awful “creamy” after taste. The sausages are totally different. Can’t wait to try The Impossible Burger though. Not available in UK as yet.

I try not to eat too much processed food, but having been meat free for 35 years I have tried my fair share of veg sausages over the years :)

At the moment, I reckon the best tasting vegan/veg sausages are Richmonds Vegan Irish Sausages (Tesco sell them at £2.00 for 8). You can get them from the fridge or frozen sections.

Being an actual sausage maker, I feel a bit poo promoting them though :(

Waitrose own fresh mushroom and leek sausages have to be tasted to be believed. Expensive but worth it.

Also has anyone else tried the new Linda McCartney Lincolnshire variety made from pea protein? Delicious!

Linda McCartney ones are my go to sausages (and the burgers are good too)

Richmond are great, but they have lumps of solid coconut oil in them, which doesn't always melt down in the oven.

We had some Heck ones the other day 🤢 they looked like melted plastic, they tasted ok, but the texture was awful and won't be buying them again.

For cook at home had many that taste good but aren't a copy of meat ones. The Beyond Meat ones are the best we have tried so far in terms of seeming like meat. Have some Heck that were said to taste amazing that we've not tried yet but don't think they are a copy.

That said we have local dog van and the veggie/vegan dog (only difference is the bread) are totally passable as meat... indeed when ordering the meat and non-meat version we have really struggled working out which is which. They refuse to say who their Frank supplier is

If not from butchers then Cauldron gets our vote here. Very close to a proper Sausage...

ps how come no post by @HaRd2BeAr yet...I would have thought he’d be all over this by now...:eek: :rotfl:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom