Best VCR?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by pragmatic, Nov 23, 2004.

Tags:
  1. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    If i were to buy a VCR which would be the best to get? They are arround about £100 it seems for good ones, so i don't mind paying this price. Is anything like S-VHS really any good. I have a DVD recorder so this will mainly be used to watch old tapes and maybe to back them up onto DVD.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    in that case i reconmend a S-VHS deck Panny 121 or JVC (JVC have had some reliability probs tho) get a good one and they are fantastic!!!

3. Whisper

Whisper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hornydragon is quite right. I bought a JVC HRS 7965 s-video VCR from Pantheronline.co.uk two weeks ago for £129.99 plus £6.99 for delivery and received it the next day. It's brilliant and so far has worked perfectly :thumbsup: . It even has a neat little feature (Time Base Correction) which is ideal if archiving older tapes :smashin: . Might be difficult to find though :( .

4. eddytor

eddytor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does Anyone know where I can find a -SHVS VCR with TBC (maybe a JVC model?)

I looked at the link for the JVC HRS 7965 s-video VCR from Pantheronline.co.uk but they are no longer selling it.

Ive been looking all over the web for one and it seems that no-one sells VCR's with TBC anymore.

I'm looking to archive VHS to DVD via the PC and the TBC seems to be an essential feature to give a stable picture.

cheers

Pete

5. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,267
    The very latest SVHS VCRs are built with price, rather than quality in mind. They have to be with the prices these days. The best VCRs with TBC are the JVC HR-S9500/9600/9700 from a few years ago. You might be able to get a secondhand one. If you do find one, make sure you check the dynamic drum operation carefully. A new one will cost more than the VCR is worth.

6. stanleyntl

stanleyntl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I've got a secondhand one HRS7600, for sale in the classified section - but it does need service/repair, but would be worth it, if you want a well built SVHS deck with TBC.
    Have no idea of extent of service, bought off ebay and didn't arrive in working condition. Shutsdown after loading tape!
    In the worse case scenario head replacement - the tape mech + video circuitry alone easily outclass modern VCR build; tape mech looks identical to HRS9500 I have.

Darren

7. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    The very best VCR ( no longer built ) is the JVC D-VHS machine. The picture quality is as good as DVD and you get 21 hours on a tape. No contest..

8. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,267
    True enough. It was the HM-DR10000. Unfortunately even a secondhand one will cost rather more than £100.

9. AV Newbie

AV Newbie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    If you can still find them anywhere I really rate the picture quality on the Samsung SV-5000W, which also has a built-in converter for PAL/ NTSC/ SECAM.

10. stanleyntl

stanleyntl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    If your stuck with analogue signals off your nearest transmitter - I'm on Findon relay, no conversion until 2012 :mad: - then the DigiPure/TBC/NR circuitry of JVC SVHS videos does a lot to clean up off-air recordings - especially if reception is noisy.
    Any model between 1998 and 2001 also features 3R edge correction which can be useful on some brands of tape. Recent offerings fom JVC lose this, and aren't as reliable.
    Picture quality is only as good as your signal unless you have a Digipure model.

The DVHS unit is pretty scarce isn't it, and does it clean up analogue signals like on their SVHS decks?

11. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    "The DVHS unit is pretty scarce isn't it, and does it clean up analogue signals like on their SVHS decks?"
    If you mean does it have 'Time Base Correction' for playing back analogue VHS and S-VHS tapes - yes it does, although there is no need for this when playing back tapes recorded in D-VHS mode.