Best VCR with Library System?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by 4810510, Oct 7, 2002.

Tags:
  1. 4810510

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys

I'm a newbie and I would be grateful for advice on a replacement VCR as my old one was sold by a junkie for £20 (without my approval BTW).

I really just use my VCR for recording and playback, no fancy editing stuff. The real benefit I think I can see from a new VCR is the tape library thingy. Could someone recommend one with a good tape library system? I don't have a budget and would prefer something at the top end of the market as I plan to keep it for a while.

From reading previous posts there seems to be different opinions, I'd be grateful for any help.

Thanks in advance

Andrew

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Panasonic NV-FJ780BS VHS or Panasonic NV-HS930BS ... S-VHS.

3. AAA

AAA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JVC HR-S9700.

Very good DVD-like picture, even on EP mode.
    The Library sistem records all the info exept the name of the program.....

Regards,

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,392
    Have you thought about getting a TiVo?

you can get a TiVo for £99 from www.unbeatable.com and then pay £10 per month or £200 one off subscription. This will give you TV listings and all programs are recorded with time/date prog name/channel info. This is far better than the 'library thingy' on any VCR.
    Output to TV is RGB, therefore picture quality if better than VHS/S-VHS. The unit will control any $ky/Cable/DTT box as required, or just uses internal tuner.

Just in case you have not realised, I LOVE TiVo:D
    It changes the way you watch TV. No more adverts. No more live TV. Etc. Etc. Etc.:)

5. 4810510

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have old tapes that I would want to watch and that's the reason that I wouldn't go for just a TiVo. I was thinking of also getting a TiVo but since I don't have a conventional phone line I'm not sure if this leaves the TiVo with little functionality?

What do you think MarkE19?

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,392
    TiVo does need to be connected to a phone line to get the EPG/software updates:(
    Without phone connection TiVo will be just like a VCR with manual timer setting only.

7. 4810510

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help guys, I've gone for the Panasonic NV-FJ780BS. The tape library system is excellent for my (very basic) needs.

Thanks again.

Andrew