Best VCR for about £150??

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Bigweed, Jun 11, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Bigweed

Bigweed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I need a VCR for about £150, and was just wondering what the best one for that price would be?? Its gonna be used quite a lot (sad, I know) for my girlfriends Friends video collection. Does anyone have any recommendations?? I was told that Panasonic VCRs are the best nowadays. Is that true?

Thanks for everyones help

Bigweed

2. CD3660

CD3660
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had panasonics for years now and would recommend them!

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    I have a Panasonic SVHS VCR and have no problems with it, but then again it is rarely used as most timeshifting is done with my TiVo and I very rarely watch prerecorded VHS tapes.
    I'm not sure of prices but the JVC SVHS VCR's are often better than the Panasonics as some of them have TBC (Time Base Correction) that can vastly improve the PQ, especially on old degraded recordings.

Mark.

4. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    As I and others have said, when compared to still-working, older decks, there doesn't appear to be any good hardware out there, these days.

However, many recommend the JVC and Panasonic recorders with a time-base corrector. For budget reasons, last year, I bought a JVC with this feature and found that it can give nice results. On playback, the image still has a nice 'live' quality to it; but edges are rather noisy. I have found results with recordings from other VCRs to be very 'hit and miss' and very frequently have to switch off the TBC function in order to achieve a stable image. As for pre-recorded tapes, occasionally they are...

STUNNING!!!!

I hold forth my aged Jurassic Park VHS cassette. Mmmmm... :clap:

By the way, there should now be a JVC machine to fit within your budget. Last year, mine was just a little over £150 - so, if you can find a good range of VCRs, I'd expect the price to be a touch lower. Oh, and I think (back then) Panasonic were at least twenty pounds more (and as much as fifty) for an equivalent specification - though of course, they may also be worth the premium :)

Good luck :smashin:

5. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Time to treat her to the DVDs - may even be cheaper!!!!