1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best VCR/DVD Combi

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Lizzybif, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Lizzybif

Lizzybif

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Hello!

I have a JVXS30 at the moment and although the playback on pre-recorded video and DVD is good I'm not happy with the picture I get when recording from TV. It is 'grainy' and flickers on certain backgrounds and colours especially blocks of reds and blue.

I had a Sony VCR before that and it did the same thing!

Maybe I'm being fussy but I can't work due to illness so record and watch a lot of TV and it gets on my nerves after a while! :thumbsdow

Is it possible to get a VCR/DVD which will give a good quality picture on recording, prerecorded and DVD?

A local retailer is getting Panasonic and LG models in at the end of the month and there is a Samsumg DVD5500 on QVC at a good price.

Your advice on a good VCR/DVD Combi for under £200 would be really appreciated. :)

Thanks!

Liz

2. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Hello Liz and welcome to the Forum. :)

I'm very pleased with the Panasonic NV-VP30 which I bought last year from Richer Sounds at £180.

Since it's the only combo I've ever bought, I can't compare it with others.

But Panny is a well respected make for VCR's, so I doubt that you'd go far wrong.

Good luck. :smashin:

3. Lizzybif

Lizzybif

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Thanks for the nice welcome and advice! :smashin:

Someone has suggested that it may be a lead or cable problem rather than the actual VCR so I will try that first before I fork out for a new one. You're not the only tight git!!! ;)

It is strange because the picture overall is good apart from the flickering and graininess. Does that make sense?!!!! :confused:

Anyway if I try different leads and that makes no difference I'll treat myself to a Panasonic.

Cheers!
    Liz

4. Lizzybif

Lizzybif

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39

I was just wondering have you recorded programmes like the 'Paul O' Grady Show' and 'Parkinson' which have a lot of blue in the background and, if so, did you get 'flickering' with the Panasonic.

The JVC for some reason is good with some programmes but programmes like these with a lot of blue and red in the background really flicker and give me a headache! :thumbsdow

I'm afraid to buy another one though in case I get the same problem so I'd really appreciate your feedpack on the Panasonic's performance. :lease:

Ta!

5. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Can't say I've noticed the problem, although I don't do a lot of recording these days.

Bearing in mind the limitations of the VHS system, I'd say the Panny is as good as most.

If you're really concerned, how about dropping in to your local dealer for a demo.

(When Paul O'Grady's on, I mean. Parky's a bit late!)

Good luck. :)