Best value upgrade only £25!!!!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by kevinl, Jun 2, 2001.

1. kevinl

kevinl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just purchased a Yello mains power cable from Russ Andrews accessories ( Tel. 0800 373467) for my samsung 709, and the difference in sound quality is amazing ,to put it mild.

I know it might sound silly that replacing the original mains cable on the dvd player could make a difference but believe me it does. I have not had time to see if the picture quality is better, but the sound is.

I have just been testing this cable with music cd's ,and everyone in the house can hear the vast improvement in sound, my wife could hear the difference and she was not even in the same room!

I can't rate this cable highly enough and if it does not work Russ Andrews gives a 30 day money back guarantee.

I don't work for Russ Andrews Honest.

Any questions please email me.

Kevin

2. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I am glad you are happy with your purchase.
    Mains etc has been a big topic here in the past.
    We all debate it in depth. You can search it above for more opinins.
    If you found that a big improvement, then consider the DIY route.
    You can produce a lead comparable to a Russ 'mega' lead for about £30 -£50 and reap the same rewards.
    I agree with you on the benefits. There to be had for all.

3. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Has Russ Andrews got a website?

Tim

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  5. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So how do you do it DIY?

6. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
  7. Del

Del

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
  8. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    By the way, making cables can be a bit of a bugger! When I think back to making my 3m stereo pair......the whole job took me about 2 weeks.....approximately20 hours of sitting winding category 5 network cable into baraided triplets, then tripling again, then again! And what do u end up with.....the worlds most freaky thick cable, which is a horrible multi color, but sounds like nothing else on its price planet!

Adam

9. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I have been using these cables since they came out and can vouch for their quality. Performance varies in every system however. I am never one to buy into exotica cables but the elimination and surpression of RFI is very commendable. This is sound engineering common sence at a not unaffordable £25. True you can pay 10 x that for a similar type cable from RA but this is good value (money back in 30 days if not satisfied). The longer the better as well. I use a minimum 2m length. I have tried the DIY route listed above but the cables take ages so make and are impractical to use (stiff). Getting hold of screened mains cable is not easy. and getting these fat cables into plugs is always messy.

10. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a bit late tagging on to this one I know, but, does you DVD player have a "captive" power lead or a "figure 8" plug?
    I phoned Russ Andrews and they said that because the lead on my player was "captive" I would have to cut the power and leave 3 inches of original cable. Purchase a Male plug and connect this to the 3 inches of cable and connect the Yello cable to this.
    This seems to me to defeat the object. The piece of cable that feeds the transformer will still be the original so all the Yello's hard work will be undone. They assured me it would be O.K but I'm not so sure.

11. bigalroz

bigalroz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Army Bloke,

I purchased the Yello cable from Russ Andrews a while back and my Samsung 709 has a captive mains cable. I purchased the male adaptor and cut the existing cable. I still noticed an improvement in the quality. The yello cable stops the pick up of RFI (and will remove any that may already be there) on the current. So the actual current is still clean when it reaches your DVD reguardless of whether the last 2 inches is unshielded (it'll pick up very little RFI on 2 inches compared to the amount your old 1 or 2m cable would have) .

Hope that helps

12. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Army Bloke: The reason the cable will make a difference is because it helps keep out interferance between the wall socket and your player. Leaving just the 3 inchs of cable atached to your player means that there is only a short amount of cable to 'gain' interferance.

You could always make your own.

rick

13. kevinl

kevinl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am pleased to see that the members of this Bulletin Board have a more open mind on this subject, compared to some of the members on the What Hi-Fi Bulletin Board.

14. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Us? Open minds? You don't mean empty do you? :)

15. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Kevin,

On your recommendation I ordered the £25 yello lead for my Rotel 995 DVD player. I'm really pleased I did. The bass is 'tighter' the mid range is more open and even the 5 channel seperation is more defined. Very wierd but a very good £25 upgrade