1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best value solid button/tactile universal remote?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by stlic, Jul 21, 2004.

1. stlic

stlic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I'm looking for a decent universal remote. Originally I was looking at a Pronto or PocketPC remote but I don't really want to look at the remote when changing channels or something simple. Tacktile remotes allow you to use them blind which is great.

Anyway just wondering what your recommendations were?.. Bear in mind I'm looking for best value so nothing too explensive. Learning is a must (want to use it with my scart switch), macros a big plus.

:)

PS: Also links to places where I could buy them (UK) would be appreciated...:)

PPS: Or maybe PocketPC is the way to go.. hmm...

2. grhys

grhys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought a Marmitek PowerMid Plus 8 in 1 universal remote :thumbsup: , that not only does standard devices, but also offers X10 (Radio Home Automation) control and a supplied IR extender (over 433Mhz Radio) so I can control all my central kit (in a cupboard) from anywhere in the room (other std remotes don't reach), or even other rooms.

Best of all, it's better value than the Kameleon 6 I was looking at :eek: ,
    and I too like the feel of REAL keys, rather than touchscreen technology, which this has.

The control was bought (@£36.63 delivered) from Simply Automate (UK), who can be found at (along with product link):
    http://www.simplyautomate.co.uk/productDisplay.asp?prodId=4971

Also on the site is a downloadable manual, so you can check what it does.
    I have yet to do some manual learning for the more unusual devices in my setup (Sanyo Projector, Pace Twin :devil: ,Denon DM5, Sony DAVC770 - ah, none of the manufacturers have got to these devices yet!!)

It also controlled the Tosh TV in the bedroom which failed to program from the AllforOne remotes.

Regards
    Gareth

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Some of the Marantz remotes should have the features you're after. PM Kazman and see what he thinks about his.

I think the model number is RC1400.

4. skyline32

skyline32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Marmitek bought a few years ago and it can only learn on 3
    devices - may have changed with later ones.

I use a Sony RM-VL900, bought from the USA, which is an 8-way and
    can learn on everything. Mind you it struggles with the 78-button remote of
    my Tosh RD-XS32 but then anything would! I'm trying to get the update codes
    for a One-For-All 6 from UE and they use TWO devices for it, a DVD and a VCR.

5. skyline32

skyline32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BTW I can highly recommend the Powermid remote extender. The receiver is so powerful I put it on top of my AV stack and bounce off the opposite wall. The Marmitek is great in that it can directly operate the Powermid via it's radio transmitter but the limitation of only learning on 3 devices is a big pain.

6. galewis1

galewis1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Check out the Meridian Boothroyd Stuart universal system remote (£85). Extremely well put together (as you'd expect from Meridian).

7. mortod

mortod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a One For All remote from the USA for just $15, and then used the JP1 hackers forum to program it from my PC - very powerful - every key programmed including macros on the device keys (something you can't do with a normal OFA). There is a much better choice of OFA remotes in the States than the UK.

Also - would be interested to know whether the Meridian MSR+ is built on URC technologyu, in which case it too could be programmed by JP1 ??

Take a look at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/files/ or http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/index.shtml

8. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Hmmm.. quite like the meridian remote though the wording ("some keys are meridian specific and punch through whatever source you are using") worries me a bit as woudl that stop you setting the volume controls for other devices ?

I have no meridian kit but have been looking for a good universal remote to use for my system!

Cheers

Matt

9. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Ok the Meridian remote plus is a no no as you cannot reprogram all the keys.. DVD,Radio,CD are fixed to meridian codes..

Matt

10. stlic

stlic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks for the suggestions.. there is a lot choice and I'm confused. I have purchased a niveus Pc/universal remote but had problems with Sky Digital, my pace scart switch and Sony amp; and ghere I was thinking so long as it has learning your okay. Gonna send that back so might check out the suggestions above, an all in one could be idea with Jp1.

11. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Also how about the HTM MX-500 seems like avery good remote... I may be buying one of these now!

Matt

12. msrx7mh3

msrx7mh3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I just bought one of these from ebay just two days ago for about £75 incl. postage. Appears to be very powerful, buttons have a nice feel.

I am just starting to program/ learn the buttons but echoing many others on these forums, it is very well-featured.