Best value Security software ?

danbrog39

Hi

Ive had my newish laptop for a year now which came with a couple of months free McAfee security on it, when that ran out i took out the subsciption for the year paid about £35 i think. ok ish i thought
Anyway the renewal has come around and there wanting £54.99 !! which im not keen to pay

Ive been scouring these pages for the last few days and am reading about the free security/Anti virus softwares eg : Microsoft security Essentials/Avast etc - Are They any good/As good as McAfee and the rest (if indeed McAfee is good-it seems OK but i dont know alot) or have i just been suckered for the last year? Is it really worth paying the extra for some proper security.

In short whats the best value for money security software out there

All advice would be greatly appreciated :smashin:

paulktreg

If you stay away from "dodgy" sites, don't download anything you're in the slightest bit unsure of and stay away from unknown .exe files then that in itself will keep most unwanted stuff of your computer.

I've used MSE in the past and I am currently using Avira Antivir Free Edition and they both do a good job and aren't particularly resource hungry. Run a sweep with Ad-Aware and Spybot ocassionally in conjunction with your anti-virus software of choice and it should keep most unwanted stuff of your PC.

danbrog39

I've used MSE in the past and I am currently using Avira Antivir Free Edition and they both do a good job and aren't particularly resource hungry. Run a sweep with Ad-Aware and Spybot ocassionally in conjunction with your anti-virus software of choice and it should keep most unwanted stuff of your PC.

Ad-Aware and Spybot - Are these freebee's i can download?

Im getting a feel Kaspeskys a good one to use as i search around ? I dont mind paying a reasonable amount if im going to be better protected, but if i can get simlilar protection from free software then bonus

I dont know a great deal about this stuff, once a week i would run a McAfee scan + windows defender scan, disk cleanup, and a defrag every now and then and thats about the extent of my PC maintance skills!

Cheers for your help:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Iccz

Distinguished Member
Microsoft Security Essentials is what I've got installed on my parents computers and they've never had any problems. And they're not exactly the most technical users around.

I don't really see the need for most users to pay for an anti-virus, providing they surf relatively safe as said before avoiding dodgy sites and not clicking on anything that sounds a bit dodgy.

spyder viewer

Distinguished Member
If I'm putting a machine together for "passing on" then I'm happy to put MSE on it. All my home systems have got Kaspersky Internet Security on them and I'm well satisfied with it.

dc8900

Distinguished Member
If I'm putting a machine together for "passing on" then I'm happy to put MSE on it. All my home systems have got Kaspersky Internet Security on them and I'm well satisfied with it.

+1 for KIS, I currently get it free from my bank to run on my spare netbook and family members windows machines, it's very light on resources and does the job nicely, even if I didn't get free AV/IS, I would most likely purchase KIS :thumbsup:

snooper

Used Kaspersky for about 3 years now after installing it due to a virus on a Norton equiped pc, which Kasp found and fixed. For the money and piece of mind i wouldn't use anything else now and i am happy with all the features it possesses. MSE is great for a free piece of software though. But for about £15 for KIS you can't go wrong really.

MarkE19

I also use Kasperski IS as I get it free as a Barclays internet banking customer. However if you need to pay for it just find an old version for around £12 (Amazon are normally good for this) and use the license key with a download of the latest version of the software. There's no need to pay £20+ for the latest version as the license key works on all versions.
£55 for McAfee is daylight robbery IMO. But it is generally the most expensive way to buy with just paying the renewal - buying a new copy is normally much cheaper for any of the IS/AV suites. I found the McAfee on Amazon for a few pennies over £20, but I don't recommed buying it :devil:

Mark.

baker025p

go to a web site called CNET DOWNLOADS.COM

they are one of the bigers around
reviews. downloads ( like free AVG ) ( free. trail and to buy software )

danbrog39

Thanks for all the advice, much appreiciated:smashin:,Think Im gona go with Kaspersky when McAfee runs out, Will KIS 2011 be all i need , I see there is a seperate AntiVirus suite also available or is this all included when you buy Kesperksy Internet Security?, Is this a like for like swap for the McAfee ive been using (Allthough better)

Im keen to have an all-in-one Security if you will, for ease of use

spyder viewer

Distinguished Member
KIS2011 is all I use although I do have Malwarebytes on the machine but haven't run it for months. If you have more than one machine, you can get good value 3 user deals.

Not sure if you need special routine for getting Mcafee off your machine?

danbrog39

KIS2011 is all I use although I do have Malwarebytes on the machine but haven't run it for months. If you have more than one machine, you can get good value 3 user deals.

unfortunatley I do only have the one laptop/PC, found it on Amazon for £19.99:)

Kaspersky Internet Security 2011, 1 PC, 1 Year Subscription (PC): Amazon.co.uk: Software

Uninstalling McAfee was goning to be my next Question, How do i do this cleanly and correctly?

Last edited:

MarkE19

KIS2011 is all I use although I do have Malwarebytes on the machine ......

The Internet Security is a full suite of programs, including Anti-Virus, so no need for anything else. But I do also have Malwarebytes as a 'belt & braces' backup to KIS as nothing is 100% secure against attacks. I've installed and used it on a few PC's running McAfee, but never had need of it on my PC.
unfortunatley I do only have the one laptop/PC, found it on Amazon for £19.99:)

Kaspersky Internet Security 2011, 1 PC, 1 Year Subscription (PC): Amazon.co.uk: Software

Uninstalling McAfee was goning to be my next Question, How do i do this cleanly and correctly?
As I suggested above you can buy an older copy of KIS and use the license key that comes with it but install the latest version of the software.
KIS 2010 for £12.52 and KIS 2011 Download :thumbsup:

Once you have uninstalled McAfee from 'Add/Remove Programs' you should download and run the McAfee Removal Tool to fully get rid of it - instructions and a download link for the removal tool can be found at: How to uninstall or reinstall supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR.exe)

Mark.

morgans

I hear conflicting reviews on KIS..
Slows the machine..
Long winded??
Views would be helpful folks.
Thank's

dc8900

Distinguished Member
I hear conflicting reviews on KIS..
Slows the machine..
Long winded??
Views would be helpful folks.
Thank's

never been the case for me, and I previously ran an earlier version of KIS on a a 2006 Dell desktop that had the grand total of 1GB in RAM! Also, I currently have it installed on a netbook that has the rather pathetic Intel Atom N270 and the netbook doesn't suffer any slowdown. In comparison to other suites, I've found it to be much lighter on resources (although since Norton '09, Norton has upped their game)

KIS did slow the machine but in recent years it has been much better

As many have said, an on line account with Barclays will produce a copy for three computers in your home for free. If they think it does the business it must be worth a try

Whatever you do, download the MacAfee uninstall programme from the MacAfee site and completely uninstall that before installing your next anti virus. These things do argue with each other

Malwarebytes free is worth while on top of security system.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom