Best value Scarts(QED,IXOS etc)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by damtom1, Feb 18, 2002.

1. damtom1

damtom1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where can i get the best deal on scart leads.I,m looking at the QED Sqart or the IXOS.These seem to be the best reviewed.Are there any better value?Where are the best deals?,
    CHEERS

2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Ron240

Ron240

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +465
  4. damtom1

damtom1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Ron and Bob,
    i,ve just had my QED 4110 delivered.I bought it from Empire direct ,as you suggested.I,ve just watched a few scenes from Pearl Harbour.I already had a fairly good gold plated scart going into a Toshiba RP,But the picture with this scart was absolutley faultless.No Glare,no bleeding,just a really vibrant,rich picture.Thanks for the help

5. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Quick question relating to 'high quality' SCART cables.

As I have a manual SCART switch box in between my DVD Player and TV, then would I lose any quality with the wiring/switching of the box, even if I had say a QED lead from the DVD to the box and a QED lead from the box to the TV.

6. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are plugging a good quality scart into say a cheap switching box then yes, as the decent signal would break down when it passed through the switching box then that weaker/broken signal would be passed through the next scart. If the switching box is of the same quality then i would think it was hardly noticable, but it's always better to link component to component directly if you can.

7. Steve

Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would there be any difference in quality between the QED RGB Only and the one with sound?

On the same subject is this the better solution than S-Video to Scart?

8. Whatts

Whatts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There shouldn't be a difference in quality between fully wired and RGB-only, but the price for fully wired will be a little higher (but I happily paid a little more for the extra flexibility a fully wired QED Sqart gives).

RGB gives superior quality to S-video (if all other variables are equal)...

9. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is from my own experience
    I noticed a difference between the RGB video and fully wired scart, i had the QED AV21 all round and changed to the AV41 which is RGB only and i noticed a difference, where i was getting a little noise on the picture from DVD with this lead it went, and as for price the AV41 can be more expensive than a fully wired but that depends on where you buy from, can range from £42.99 > £50.00 where as you can pick up a AV21 from £35.99

10. Ron240

Ron240

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +465
    Yes,the RGB only sqart will (in theory) provide a better quality picture,but whether you will actually notice it will be down to the individual,i use one anyway.As far as pricing goes,RGB and fully wired are priced the same for equivalent lenghts.The best price i found for the 2110 and 4110 is empire direct at £38.27 as i stated earlier.The fully wired lead is more versatile in that you will be able to use it for anything that takes scart - scart,wheras the RGB only will give the slightly better picture.Which one to go for is down to your personal choice and circumstances.

11. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Are you all saying that this 1 Metre cable of about £50 (!) will make the diffference visable !!!!

I've always wondered whether you would see a better picture and so I bought some (unknown make) oxygen free/ gold plated 1 metre scart for £25 from Curry's or Dixons ? Albeit a few years ago now.

I will have to buy a cheap £5 scart and swap between them to see if I really can see a difference.

12. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sorry to say but i class the £25 scart from Curry's/Dixon's the same as a £5 scart and i wouldn't be able to tell a difference, it was only when i tried QED range that i saw some improvement.

Before you go and buy this lead remember it carries no audio.

13. damtom1

damtom1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think picture size plays a part.A small defect will show up more on a larger screen,so a small difference in quality will also be more noticable on a larger screen.
    The improvment i noticed was far more than i expected

14. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I moved from a Maplins Home Cinema Scart to a QED RGB Only Scart. The difference i noticed was quite a bit. Sharpness was improved, but most was the colours, especially the reds!

Well worth the money in my view! Get the RGB only Scart!

15. Ron240

Ron240

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +465
    I would totally agree with this.There was a time when i would have been taken in by it,but not any more.
    Go for quality whenever possible.As soon as you take a QED sqart out of the box the look and feel of it just screams quality at you.And for less than £40 its an easy choice to make.

16. Steve

Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice guys.

I will have to get myself a QED scart then, but I'm still not sure what to go for as far as the 2110 or 4110 goes. It would be nice to find a dealer that would let me take both home to try. And also find one that holds both types in stock.

I must say that when I did try my friends S-video to Scart lead (£62) worth, that the reds lost that slight fuzz edge to them and became solid against light backgrounds. I also noticed that the colour was a lot better overall.

Anyway cheers!

17. kblue

kblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just upgraded to a QED RGB only Scart from a standard 'free with DVD player' scart. I wasn't really expecting much difference, however the improvement was massive - colours were far more vibrant, and picture was much sharper. When the DVD menu or Sky Planner were on screen, with the previous scart vertical lines would be fuzzy with annoying movement, however with the QED the lines were rock solid.

Another good test is 'The nightmare before christmas' which has loads of very dark (but detailed) backgrounds, strong foreground colours and fairly sharp object edges. This really showed up the differences well.

Best 50 quid spent in a long time!

Incidentally, also bought the QED SVideo -> scart cable, so was able to benchmark against the RGB Scart. Not much in it, bit the RGB cable did just come out on top. Really depends on your electronics though.

18. DavidT

DavidT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    I have read with interest all you comments in this and other posts on the issue of cable quality. I am somewhat sceptical on the value of high cost cabling to many people. There are, IMO, many things to consider when looking a the real value of these cables (not least the capabilities of the kit being connected). I can't see how a relatively short (i.e. under 1.5 metres) cable can be so different in video and audio quality and certainly can't possibly justify a potential 500% increase in cost unless you really are getting a 500% increase in picture and sound quality.

I have, admittedly, limited experience with home cinema but I can see no difference between a £10 1 metre scart lead and a £50 one (I have tested this out) with my setup. Maybe it was just that my TV and STB are unable to take advantage of the cable used, but in my case, and I would think many others, it is just not worth the added expense.

So to sum up you need to get this into perspective, whilst a top qualty home cinema setup will benefit from top quality cables, most of us with more modest systems will see no benefit at all.

Please don't blast me, this is just IMO.

19. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I would also agree with DavidT comments above Value for Money, but I think it's one of those products that quite simply there is none, but you have to pay a lot more to get that small extra bit and people, quite simply, are willing to pay it which is no poblem at all for them. It happens on a number of different products in the same way. Hey if, you are a fanatic and have the money - Go for it- I have and I accept most people would say how much !! My reply would normally be.....yes, but don't you think the picture is much better ? followed by their opinion of.....well yeah, but I wouldn't have paid it.

One thing, that would be nice, for people to do when remarking on the picture quality improvements is to state what TV (and it's size) and DVD player they are using.

I suppose the next step would be to compare how better a sound system performs with the latest £100 a metre professional co-ax cable !! Again, I have absolutely no probelm with this too - Choice !!

By the way my co-ax cable cost me £20 (I think) , but it is quite long.

20. damtom1

damtom1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Couldnt agree more,Andy.As i have already stated ,i am over the moon with the QED Sqart i purchased.
    I think the issue of "noticable"improvment has everything to do with picture size.An improvment in Colour can be easily recognised,but sharpness and clarity of image are easier to spot on a larger screen .The same way that any defects will be highlighted more on a larger screen.
    Just for the record i,m using a Toshiba 210E with a Toshiba 43" RP.