Best value for money GU10 LED bulbs?

sai

Hi,
I want to replace my 50W GU10 halogens for some LED bulbs can someone recommend me some. They don't have to be dimmable but must be the same size as halogen GU10's.
Thanks
Sai

supraTTman

Banned
Try Lustrumlight - they also accept returns if you are not satisfied - I have bought 30 off products (mainly MR16's & SES 240V for the boat & house) and only one has failed after 12 months.

Last edited:

hornydragon

I suggest you buy 1 then see how you cope with the light before buying lots..............Most are terrible light, warm white are generally best but not all are the same colour or even very warm! Dimming is also a challenge so unless they are switched only needs lots of research.

Oh and sone are much deeper than GU10 or have big heat sinks that wont go into standard fittings

owain_thomas

I suggest you buy 1 then see how you cope with the light before buying lots..............Most are terrible light, warm white are generally best but not all are the same colour or even very warm! Dimming is also a challenge so unless they are switched only needs lots of research.

Oh and sone are much deeper than GU10 or have big heat sinks that wont go into standard fittings
good advice, this. The warm white one I've tried is a horrible dim green-yellow colour, not a good replacement at all.

murton

Novice Member
Have a look at the maxilux zenigata's here: GU10 LED Light Bulbs | Dimmable LED GU10

I'm using 10 of them in my living room and very happy with the light colour of the warm white, much more natural than others I've tried. If you're putting them into any kind of working environment, like a kitchen, I would go for the cool white though as they seem to produce more light, just not as nice to relax in.

Not cheap (£12.99 each!) but they've got a 3 year warranty which not many seem to have.

Nash__

Hi, I have same issue - my electrician says I have 12v low voltage and I want to replace the halogens with LED any advice?

Thanks in advance,

Nash

thecloneman

Novice Member
as a spark myself i get asked the same question a lot,ive just changed 30 12v 50w dichroic lamps in my house for these "SYLVANIA HI-SPOT LED GU10 ES50 LAMPS " best on the marked at the moment,they are dimmable and are as close to a dichroic as you can get,they are a 6.5w led.stay away from the lamps that have 25/30 small leds on the lamp.you get what you pay for.

Nash__

Many thanks do you have a link? also, will they not be affected by the fact my current ones are rated at 12v and not 240 as the guy said I SHOULD CHANGE THE DRIVERS if going to LED??:confused:

thecloneman

Novice Member
if you have 12volt lamps you have transformers.you remove the 12v lamp and transformer and fit a gu10 lampholder which will fit a 240v led lamp.no need for a driver as the lamps have them built in .sell your old 12v 60va transformers on ebay

NickParks

janerikpaul

Standard Member
I know it's an old thread, but this is a new website that does have some very good prices on LED GU10. Obviously, the prices have been going down from the past year as lots of cheap imports from China have been coming in - so it's worth checking the quality wherever you buy from ...Home page
Search results for: 'gu10That's' link to all their GU10s!

Louiebear

Novice Member
Hi,
I want to replace my 50W GU10 halogens for some LED bulbs can someone recommend me some. They don't have to be dimmable but must be the same size as halogen GU10's.
Thanks
Sai
I've just ordered some from a local business, they seem to have a limited choice but have reassured that the bulbs they supply are very good quality just not as expensive as the bigger brands. LED Bulbs Online Shop

davee

Take Hornydragons advice and buy one or a couple of alternative ones to see which you prefer. Bear in mind that 90% of advertising that say equivalent to 50w halogen is a load of bollocks. Cool white which is really cold is the brightest and the warmer you go the dimmer it gets. If you want the same punch as a 50w halogen you really want a 9w led especially if you go for the warmer ones.
Caveat emptor!

Last edited by a moderator:

CableGuy

I got mine from LED Hut - LED Lights, LED Bulbs GU10 LED and MR16 LED Bulbs + Loads more at Amazing Prices. I needed dimmable GU10 LEDs for the cinema room. Very good website, including useful videos for different products. Compared with some of the cheap and cheerful Far East units, these appear to be very well made, reliable (so far), good value @ £4 per unit and give a lovely hue. The only downside to halogens is the dimmable range. Halogens dim very smoothly right the way from bright to off. These reach about 15% dim and then switch to off. A sacrifice I'm willing to make for the huge energy savings. :)

As below, I went for "warm white".

ImageUploadedByAVForums1455128984.199888.jpg

RajP

Distinguished Member
I got mine from LED Hut - LED Lights, LED Bulbs GU10 LED and MR16 LED Bulbs + Loads more at Amazing Prices. I needed dimmable GU10 LEDs for the cinema room. Very good website, including useful videos for different products. Compared with some of the cheap and cheerful Far East units, these appear to be very well made, reliable (so far), good value @ £4 per unit and give a lovely hue. The only downside to halogens is the dimmable range. Halogens dim very smoothly right the way from bright to off. These reach about 15% dim and then switch to off. A sacrifice I'm willing to make for the huge energy savings. :)

As below, I went for "warm white".

View attachment 678917
I would also vouch for LedHut. I have them in my home office and they are excellent. As to your dimming issue, is it due to the fact that the dimmer switch is not finding enough load once you are down to 15% and hence switching it off. If so, perhaps you may want to add a artificial load to the circuit. Not sure where you can buy it. I know on my dimmer module circuit, I had to add this so that the dimmer functioned correctly when I replaced the halogen bulbs with Leds. As my dimmer module is made by Fibaro, they also do a dimmer bypass which does this for the circuit.
Worth a thought.

jk330ci

Standard Member
An Electrition I know showed me some down lights from city electrical, they are a all in one unit that has a switch on the back of the unit allowing you to switch between cool, daylight and warm white. I thought that was very good.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q950T Soundbar Review, Filmmaker Mode, Disney+ $30 for Mulan, AV news and more

Trending threads

Top Bottom