Best value ex. disc drive

Lostsoul 301281

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've recently bought a new Macbook Pro, and seeing as Apple no longer believe in the existence on CDs, it doesn't have a built in optical drive.
So I'm looking for a reliable, inexpensive external disc drive.

Which ones have people here used and have good experiences with?

Help if you listed your requirements? CD/DVD/Bluray/3D Bluray and whether you need to be able to burn any of those formats?

Just the equivalent of the SuperDrive.
I only really need it to rip CDs to iTunes and make the odd mix CD for my car. Reading and writing DVDs would just be a bonus.

I would have gone straight for the USB SuprDrive, but I've read mixed reviews about it.
Some saying it works as it should, others saying it eats discs and dies within a few months.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
LG GP50NB40 Super Multi - DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM drive - USB 2.0: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

LG one looks good. Check out amazon reviews for search of "external DVD writer" can't go too far wrong. Just avoid ones with lots of valid negative reviews.

Wouldn't bother with Apples own. Overpriced.

I gone through a couple on Amazon, checking out the reviews, but again they seem to be a mixed bag.
I trust people's opinions here as you get more knowledgable responses compared to the average Amazon customer.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
If helps, then, here are some further thoughts on the one I got...

It does work. I've had no problems burning discs and only one reading them – there was one disc it just didn't like until I tried it at different angles. Can't remember what condition the disc was in but suspect it wasn't perfect.

But it does feel flimsy. The ejecting of the draw isn't particularly smooth and it doesn't look premium. I don't know how long it will last, I doubt it'll be five years or anything.

But I wasn't expecting more than that for £17, I just wanted something that worked and I wouldn't be upset about if it broke. If I'd spent £60 or whatever on the Apple SuperDrive, which I'm sure looks and feels lovely, and had that break after two years, I'd have been annoyed. It would have looked much nicer when plugged into my Mac mini, though.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom