Best value eARC Smart TV please.

Fatboymart

Standard Member
Following my anguish, when I purchased an LG OLED 65 G6V, Christmas 2017, only to discover ARC will never become eARC via the LGOLED. I now have an opportunity to advise my younger brother & young family, who are setting up a home & limited budget/size home cinema, and want to future proof as best they can on a low budget.

My advise is once the cabling is in place and supports HDMI 2.2 the hardware can be purchased when funds allow.

However, for my benefit, I was wondering if/when <£600 eARC/HDMI 2.2 TVs will/are available?

They currently have an optic 5.1 soundbar (no rears), but would, in time, upgrade path towards a DD Atmos soundbar, rears etc. Powered off an eARC smart TV.

Your thoughts would be appreciated

It’s the first time I’ve posted a new question so apologies if out of governance.

Martin.

desinho

HDMI 2.1 ; and probably not this year. Perhaps the Sony 55XG85 near the end of the year when it is heavily discounted. Won't have HDMI 2.1 but will have eARC.
Probably better off waiting for next year's models and hope it (HDMI 2.1) has trickled down.
Or maybe, slight chance, the new Samsung Q60R model. No word of eARC specifically yet but as part of the QLED models might be getting several more HDMI 2.1 features whilst not having full HDMI 2.1 specs.

Fatboymart

Standard Member
HDMI 2.1 ; and probably not this year. Perhaps the Sony 55XG85 near the end of the year when it is heavily discounted. Won't have HDMI 2.1 but will have eARC.
Probably better off waiting for next year's models and hope it (HDMI 2.1) has trickled down.
Or maybe, slight chance, the new Samsung Q60R model. No word of eARC specifically yet but as part of the QLED models might be getting several more HDMI 2.1 features whilst not having full HDMI 2.1 specs.

Cool, a gradual upgrade path will hopefully make it easier to achieve financially.

McTrucky

i'm kind of in the same boat. Looking for an eARC TV, and the Sony flagships have it now, and the LG top of the range (all the range?) are meant to have it when they release in April.

I have also emailed LG asking if the 2018 S range (top of the range LED - 'nano') will be upgrade-able (the processor is not upgraded on the 2019 model, but there may be other hardware required). They are available around £600/£700 for 49/55 now, and I expect the 2019 models to be £200 north of that.

So I am leaning towards an LG SM8000 series, either a 49 or 55.

My interest is in best sound quality back to the AVR as I will be using the inbuilt Netflix/Prime apps on the TV. However.... A cheaper alternative may be to stick with a 4k Firestick in the back of the AVR and do away with the eARC requirement, and buy a last year's model TV without the HDMI2.1.

Dodgexander

Specs move so slow in all honesty I would just buy now and forget about it for some time. Even when eARC is available in the HDMI spec it will probably be a while before a good soundbar that supports it becomes available.

You could just keep sound linked up separate until then, negating the need of eAC3 completely.

desinho

Got a reply from LG, they will not be upgrading any 2018 models to eArc (or ful 2.1).
Only the top 2019 4K LCD model (SM9500) will have HDMI 2.1 (and presumably eARC) besides the OLED's and 8K LCD model.
Netflix only has a compressed Atmos stream and doesn't need eARC for playback (but not all tv's pass through nevertheless)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom