1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best value DVD disc supplier?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by PeterL, Jun 3, 2002.

1. PeterL

PeterL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone.

I've not long had my first DVD player and would be interested to know your opinions as to the best value DVD disc suppliers (all regions) on the internet. I've had the following recommenced to me by a friend and they seem very good:

www.play247.com

www.dvdboxoffice.com

... but maybe you know some that are better?

TIA, PeterL

2. terminator

terminator
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  3. skimber

skimber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use http://www.play.com/ and http://www.cd-wow.com/ for most of my DVD purchases. Both are superb. Cd-wow has a limited choice, but is very cheap on a lot of titles (often cheaper than play.com). Excellent customer service too - as reported throughout this forum.

Just be careful of R3 disks (not just from cd-wow but from everywhere) as they are rarely anamorphic, even if it says they are on the web sites (Black Hawk Down R3 is an exception)...

Sometimes I also purchase from http://www.hmv.com/ when they have 2 for 1 offers, but only after comparing the total, including postage, with play.com and cd-wow.com. Sometimes it can work out cheaper.

5. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    For R1 in the UK, noone seems to be able to touch Future Entertainment for prices.

They were doing Harry Potter , Monsters Inc and Beauty & The Beast, all 2 disc sets, for £12.99. Loads more @ £9.99, £10.99 and £11.99 and all new releases.

I still don't know how importers are able to sell R1 movies much cheaper than R2.

6. marcoeser

marcoeser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    be careful of all suppliers from USA/Canada, their delivery times can become very long, ie. months, PLUS most my orders from there, over last christmas were stolen.
    I'm using Play for everything now. They are very reliable. They maybe 1or2 pounds more on some titles but I want to be sure I'll get it in my hands within a week. I even happier now they've started selling Criterion.
    marc :D

7. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
  8. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    They've also done the right thing and bowed to pressure from CDWOW and now a typical R1 disc will set you back £14.99.

Be warned of their pre-orders though, they charge your card straight away, and if you decide to cancel the order, they'll charge you 3% to give you your money back, and they like to lower prices after something's been released but everyone's already paid the pre-order price.

9. PeterL

PeterL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys for all your replys. I never realised there were so many good DVD shops online and from all over the world. The price and format comparison sites are especially interesting cutting out a lot of the leg work (or should I say surf work?)

It seems incredible that you can buy a DVD from America, Canada, Australia etc, pay a shipping cost on top, and still pay less than you would from a UK-based supplier.

That said, there are some decent UK online suppliers out there, but it seems like we need a bit of a shake up with the price of DVD's generally. This seems especially true of the high street outlets. Whereas the likes of Sainsbury's sell chart-topping music CD's for under £10, the pricing of DVD's isn't yet that competitive. Is this likely to happen soon?

Peter

10. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    It can only be a matter of time before the likes of Sainsbury's do as you say.

In the 1st 13 weeks of this year DVDs outsold VHS for the first time in terms of pre-recorded software 60/40. Now the UK is a couple of years behind but it's catching up quick too.

11. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't forget to add on the customs charges (taxes) if they manage to intercept your parcel. For this reason, I stopped ordering from overseas suppliers (unless it's something I really can't get elsewhere) - had to pay nearly £20 in taxes for an Amazon.com parcel once :(

12. PeterL

PeterL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Doesn't the package cost have to be something over around £18 for their to be import duty? Can you not get around this by ordering DVD's individually?

OK, I know that some individual titles and special editions etc will cost over this amount, but many don't. I realise too that the shipping cost of many overseas suppliers is not very economical unless you order more than one title per order, but then there are exceptions I have seen.

Has anyone an idea of the precise amount where a package incurs import duty? And does this amount include the cost of shipping?

PeterL

13. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It does indeed include the cost of shipping! Which is a bit odd really because technically you're not importing the postage are you?? :mad:

Full details on how the amounts are calculated are here (follow various links from that)....

http://www.hmce.gov.uk/public/shopping/shopping.htm

You can get 'relief' on international imports as follows:

3.3 Can I get relief from duty or VAT on any goods?
    Yes. EC agreements allow relief from charges on certain imported goods if they:

* have an intrinsic value of £18 or less although this particular relief does not include alcohol, tobacco products, perfume or toilet waters which are covered in paragraph 3.4. The intrinsic value is the actual value of the goods excluding postage, packing and other miscellaneous costs;

* are gifts worth £36 or less which comply with the rules shown in paragraph 3.5; or

* are entitled to any other relief, as explained in paragraph 3.7.

Within the EC, I think you're not liable for any duty/tax at all (I've never been charged yet anyway).

14. PeterL

PeterL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Squirrel. What a little hoarder of information you are. Omniscient as well as omnipresent! Do you stretch to omnipotency as well? If you do, I'd like a new 4-bedroom house with a dedicated home cinema room if you could arrange that please?

Anyway, seriously - although I'm sure from the customs & excise perspective this is all supposed to be unambiguous it seems rather open to interpretation, particularly as it is the importers responsibility concerning declaration of value etc. I'm sure many of these overseas companies, particularly the US sites, don't understand our "quaint" little rules and regulations!

So for those of you who have bought DVD's from outside the EU, have you been caught by import duty? Which sites follow the rules and which don't?

PeterL

15. markgroeneveld

markgroeneveld

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dvd box office is expensive and takes time.
    personally i use play.com
    but www.cdwow.com is cheaper than play. but do not at the
    moment carry a large amount of disc. a plus to them though,
    is that they get their disc from what ever region is available.
    i.e. black hawk down R3 good quality, with the same extras as
    R1, but £2-3 cheaper. unfortunately they do not have a tracking system, so there is no way of knowing when your disc's will arrive.
    unless you email them for an answer. i have put forward to them to intruduce this system and i have recieved an email, to the words that they are too look into it.

personally i would stick with play.com, quick and very reliable.

regards,

mark.

16. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cd-wow email you when your disk has been despatched... that's good enough for me. I don't see what the problem is ... How can you possibly introduce a tracking system for first class post anyway?? They are not using couriers. You can also view your order history online and see when something has been dispatched or if it is pending.

Play.com use exactly the same system.

I have been using both play and cd-wow heavily for many months and I have never failed to receive anything yet - all arrived within 2-5 days of email notification.

17. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just ordered my first discs from cd_wow after previously using play.com and (recognising that this was MY fault not theirs) one of the R3 discs was not anamorphic (and it did say it wasn't on their site but i didn't notice). The disc is anamorphic as an R1, R2 or R4 and the picture quality of the R3 disc is very noticeably worse.

Again, my fault not cd_wow's, but something to bear in mind when one is "saving" money...

Simon

18. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got caught out the same way. But in my case, it WAS cd-wow's fault. Their web site stated that The Others R3 was anamorphic when it wasn't. I had no problems getting a refund from them however and they were incredibly polite and responsive about it. :)

19. the badger

the badger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Best quickest and most hassle free is Play 247. If you order direct from USA any saving will be gobbled up by insurance (essential if buying several discs as you will experience missing parcels otherwise), VAT and "Duty"(don't know what that is supposed to represent) and to add insult to injuy the post office will charge you a fee for collecting the charge. I was recently charged about £11.50 for some C.D.s which cost a total of £25. Not only did the company (CD Now) include the shipping in the "value" on the customs form, the also gave the full price rather than the discounted price I had actually paid. Even more helpfully they failed to wite the currency which allowed customs to assume it was sterling rathr than dollars. Not a happy situation.
    It annoys me that cars which could be stocked to the gunnels with booze and cigarrettes can just cruise through customs without any examination yet they have the time to levy charges on a few cd.s or dvd.s.
    At east they don't tend to open dvd packages. When I used to import videotapes they used to frequently open them and charge an "examination fee". Sometimes they would actualy open the jiffy bag andrr ifle through the stuffing.
    This probably doesn't happen now because dvd imortation is commonplace but I think in the old days they used to view video importation wih suspicion. I am sure they were desparately dissapointed when it turned out to be a widescreen copy of Lost in Space or similar.

20. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    A bit nit-picky perhaps but the PO don't charge for collecting the customs fee from the customer (you & I), but it's to cover the fact that they have to pay C&E before they can deliver your goods.

21. iwilson

iwilson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Don't know why nobody has mentioned www.dv-depot.com for US releases. Shipping is DHL - 9.95 US for every 7 discs. You never pay customs duties as they label the package as sample software. No disc damage, each disc is wrapped in tissue paper. Three days max shipping time.

Ian

22. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's good to know - never heard of them... Will consider them next time. Cheers Ian :)

23. I J S

I J S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I normally use Play who i have always found to be very reasonable and reliable.However, i have started using Future Entertainment for some of their bargain dvd's.I have recently picked up Memento 2-disc edition for £12.99 (although they have subsequently put the price back up) , The Usual Suspects for £12.99, Harry Potter for £12.99 and Ali for £10.99.

I stay away from pre-orders for the same reason other's have highlighted but some of their prices are fantastic.
    I can't understand why Play don't do something similar.They must be losing a fair amount of custom to the likes of Future Entertainment when people can save up to £5-£6 on certain titles?!

24. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Incidentally, CD-WOW does the Usual Suspects for 12.99 and play does Harry Potter region 1 for 12.99. Might want to factor cd-wow.com into any future purchasing decisions as well ;) They're the 3 main ones that I use now - play.com, cd-wow.com, futureent.com. I ordered Memento for 12.99 from Futureent - still waiting for them to dispatch it :(

25. markgroeneveld

markgroeneveld

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just checked out dv-depot.
    Looked at the cost of Snow Dogs and Play.com is slightly cheaper, inc.
    delivery. Dv-depot you have to add the shipping cost of what £6 on top. I can only see that this might be of benefit if you order in bulk.

26. I J S

I J S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll have to check them out as they also sound very competitive.

My Memento arrived this morning after they despatched on Saturday afternoon.An absolute bargain at £12.99 and yet again great service.It even came packaged in 2 jiffy bags to protect the rather unique packaging the dvd has.:)