Best Value DSLR

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by mdg900, Dec 26, 2006.

1. mdg900

mdg900
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What would you say is the best value DSLR at the moment?

I'm tempted by a refurbished (12 month warranty) Nikon D70S with 18-70mm lense for £430, or a Canon 30D 18-55mm £638. (£738 at jessops and £100 cashback from Canon.)

Is the Canon worth the extra £200?

Are there any bargains anywhere else at the moment?

2. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Yes!:)

But note that despite the briefness of that reply: you are buying into a system
    and the Nikons kit lens is marginally better than Canons very usable, if somewhat underwhelming 18-55mm

The 30D is costing now what the 350D cost 16 months ago and it is a much better camera: ( I own both)

Even if the 350D was said to be smaller and a bit less robust than the D70 then the same cannot be said about the 30D which is very responsive, ( 2 itsy bitsy Mp more ) equally does spot metering Faster and more accurate Auto focus etc
    You need to ask yourself hope each feels in your hand, perhaps take a few similar pics on a card with each and then decide
    Niether is a slouch but YMMV

A Nikon D80 vs Canon 400 D vs Canon 30D comparison would perhaps be more lively with differing opininons

3. Pirate!!

Pirate!!
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,217

Ahoy!

I'm also having a nose around at the moment. Whilst I have a dSLR, there are 2 that spring to mind that could be regarded as 'best value' . . which is subjective because it doesn't mean best quality, best build, decent lenses, choice of lenses etc et etc. So, IMHO, the 'best value' in terms of price, quality and lenses would be:

Olympus E-500 2 lens kit @ £489.00

Sony Alpha A100 (Body) @ £399.99
    Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 LD Macro 1:2 Lens @ £99.99

Other members opinions will differ I'm sure, so you'll need to do the research, try and decide for yourself ATEOTD.

4. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    Pirate - you ignore the Pentax K10D at your peril.

I suggested this in the other thread and it's well worth considering. I'd take it over both of the ones you mention.

5. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Im not familiar with the Olympus, quite like the price on the Sony and features
    (It is a "grownup" Konika Minolta) .
    The Sigma 70-300 DG APO version is £30-40 costlier than the Tamron ( but it is that much better: If you can stretch to it)
    Value can very subjective .
    There is probably very little difference in image quality of all the cameras mentioned so far at A4 print sizes unless you are actively looking for it
    Whatever you buy today.. there will be a better model costing less in 6 months time:eek:

6. Pirate!!

Pirate!!
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,217

Ahoy Radiohead!

Yes I know . . I know . . I know. BUT, my budget is £500.00. The OP is asking a different question. It's just that within a given budget of £500.00 for example my suggested two (I already have the E500 BTW), and possibly the Canon 350d would be worth looking at very closely.

The Pentax K10D is circa £600, and for me at least is over budget. I accept your point. The OP may have a different set of criteria. Either way, one can only offer suggestions and leave the rest to the individuals choice.

Season's greetings everyone.