1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best value compact camcorder....?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by chrisbin, Mar 3, 2005.

1. chrisbin

chrisbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hey guys :hiya:

Hope you can help in same way as previously.....

We've booked to go to Florida and "do the Disney thing". My current camcorder is 10 yr old JVC VHS-c jobbie.....bit bulky, hardly gets used blah blah.

So, I'm thinking I really ought to update and get something more compact that I won't mind carrying around.....

It really doesn't need to give state of the art results, but I don't want to just buy on price and end up with a lemon.....

So, whats the best value around at the moment - it will be used for holidays/kids parties/school concerts and such like ;)

I have £50 worth of Argos vouchers that I could use, and see they have a Samsung at £249.....so only £200 for me... :smashin:

Samsung VP-D101 - any good????

So in summary my requirements are, budget price, small size, reasonable performance.....

Whaddya reckon????

:thumbsup:

2. Hiddenmission

Hiddenmission

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've recently bought a JVC GR-D23 for £210 from pixmania and am very impressed with the results.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Bit of a problem with your requirements here!

The way to go with a new camcorder is digital - ie get a DV camcorder.
    Problem with DV camcorders is that the small/consumer ones are poor in low light conditions.
    Low light conditions = "kids parties/school concerts and such like " :(

So it all depends on how you define "reasonable performance"
    All the modern DV camcorders will give far better results outside with the likes of holiday shots at Disney, but when in a low light party/concert situation the results are likely to be fairly poor. But on the up side you are able to get camcorders that are only slightly bigger than the average 35mm compact stills camera.

I'm not trying to put you off getting a new camcorder, but just trying to make you aware that there are compromises in their design. A bigger cam will be better in low light, a smaller cam is more likely to be carried around!

Mark.

4. chrisbin

chrisbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Mark - thanks for that! Rather suspected that might be the case!!

I guess really that the priorities should be defined as

small size - otherwise I won't bother taking it out
    decent performance
    accept limitations with indoor performance....

can I expect to get something worth buying for £300, or less?

Cheers

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    I don't see why a £300 budget would stop you getting something far better than an old analogue cam. I haven't been looking at the ranges available at this price range for many years so will let others that know them better than me to advise on the best models.

One bit of advise I will offer is to get a cam with a hotshoe to attach a video light. This will give you the option of getting a better shot with parties etc, although not advised for the school play as you are likely to upset the rest of the audience :devil:

Mark.