• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Best value 55" for HDR & (1440p120hz) Gaming TV in Germany?

Fiend

Novice Member
Hi guys, I'm new here and to TV research in general, and honestly I'm a bit confused, especially since I started researching on rtings then I realized almost nothing carries over to Europe...

I'm looking to buy a TV in Germany, ideally <1000€, my main goals are: nice (HDR I guess?) movie viewing in 4K, and 1440p120hz gaming, with some 4k60hz gaming thrown in between (I'm looking at getting the RTX 3070, or a comparable AMD if they step it up). From what I've seen, I guess I would want to have ~15ms or less input lag on both 1440p120hz and 4k60hz modes.

Question 1: Is there such a model in Germany/EU?
Question 2: And if yes, what would be the best value for money option?
Question 3: How would 1440p(120hz) look like on the mentioned TVs? I've heard 1440p can look decent (from PC input), and I would use that resolution quite a bit for gaming I think, since RTX3070 won't be able to handle everything on 4k60hz forever...

Cheers! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

tvdavid

the best 3 tvs would be

Sony xh9005
Samsung qr90t
LG CX

all have hdmi 2.1 I think.

Dodgexander

1. Plenty of models support 1440p a 120hz as this can be done over HDMI 2.0
2. Can depend on prices and availability locally. Typically unless you can find 2019 stock still, no TVs now are going to be good value for money.
3. It will look fine, but if you aim for a TV with HDMI 2.1 and a new graphics card you can output 4k 120hz.

The hz that you send the display doesn't have to match the frame rate, and with the addition of HDMI 2.1 VRR if you buy a TV with that technology (together with a supported graphics card) you can enjoy smooth frame rates at even lower fps.

Fiend

Novice Member
Thank you David and Dodgexander for the info!

I don't know if an affordable (for me, i.e. <700€) graphics card will come out until the end of 2020 (which is when I want to buy the TV and build the PC) which can actually do 4k 60+ fps reliably, that's why I was looking at 1440p + RTX3070.

I was looking at Samsung Q70R, everything else seems to go way over 1000€ budget in Germany.

@tvdavid Sony xh9005 doesn't support more than 60hz on 1440p or am I mistaken? Q90T looks great, but unfortunately a bit expensive for my budget (1200€ can't seem to find lower in Germany), and LG CX even more so on both aspects :)

@Dodgexander so if I want to buy a TV for those needs until end of 2020, there is nothing which is good value for money? Is there something that is OKish value for money, for example the Q70R which I was looking at? (900€, maybe 700-800€ if it goes on sale)

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
The Q70R is already discontinued, it's a 2019 model. I can't say for sure in Germany, but here in the UK it was selling for ~£999 as it's cheapest before stock ran out.

It's been replaced by the inferior Q70T, you'd need to buy a Q80T/Q85T to get a TV with the same sort of HDR capability.

Dodgexander

I don't know if an affordable (for me, i.e. <700€) graphics card will come out until the end of 2020 (which is when I want to buy the TV and build the PC) which can actually do 4k 60+ fps reliably, that's why I was looking at 1440p + RTX3070.
I think you may have missed my point about output signal and frame rate. You can game in 1440p resolution 120hz but send 2160p 120hz to the display. It works by letting the graphics card handle the upscaling rather than the TV.

Either way, your limiting factor right now is going to be the price of future proofed TVs. Only a handful of 2020 models support HDMI 2.1 and they are all expensive having just been released. If you can get last years Q70R, it will do 1440p 120hz. It even supports HDMI VRR. The problem is it doesn't run a HDMI 2.1 chipset so it will max out at 1440p 120hz with reduced chroma. If you are happy with that, go for it.

If I was purchasing for your usage I'd wait for the price of the newer HDMI 2.1 models to come down. Ideally going for the Q80T, Q85T or Q90T/Q95T...or even better an OLED like the LG CX, or BX.
@Dodgexander so if I want to buy a TV for those needs until end of 2020, there is nothing which is good value for money? Is there something that is OKish value for money, for example the Q70R which I was looking at? (900€, maybe 700-800€ if it goes on sale)
The Q70R is a 2019 model. At 900 EUR its very, very good value for money, you'd be looking at waiting around 10 months for the newer Q80T to get to that price. If you want a TV now and don't care about future proofing I'd snap that up now, its unlikely to be reduced again as its 2019 stock.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom