Best V.Processor for a PHD8?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by smind74, Mar 18, 2006.

1. smind74

smind74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Was thinking of taking the plunge, mainly to improve the Sky picture really and wanted suggestions for the best video processor to partner my 42PHD8.

Budget up to £ 1000 and would consider 2nd hand options too.

Currently have an HDMI board but guess that many of the guys on here use a DVI board.

Kits to include
    Xbox - Currently S-Video direct to screen.
    Xbox 360 and Sky (QED RGB to component converter) via Amp (Component)
    Denon 1920 - HDMI direct to screen

Any thoughts appreciated.:thumbsup:

2. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    I'm going for a Lumagen HDP when I get my PHD8 in the next few weeks. about £1200 and they have an excellent feature set/reputation.

3. smind74

smind74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Cheers for that. I also appear to have duplicated a thread by Pebble in which Gordon suggested a Lumagen.

If I got a Lumagen then, how do most people have them connected to their panel. Just a DVI cable or via analogue too.

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,101
    I've been to folks who have both connected. If you just have SD sources right now then analogue is good. If you are going to want to take advantage of HD HDMI sources then you'll probably have t consider getting an HDMI or DVI terminal board for the plasma as well.

Gordon

5. smind74

smind74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Cheers Gordon. I've got an HDMI board already but assume from reading various posts that I'd need a DVI board due to increased number of refresh rates that it can accept.

Gonna hold out to see what Sky HD is like first and see whether a processor will be needed / worth the extra expense.

6. flexiondotorg

flexiondotorg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    As you can see from my signature I have partnered my 42-PHD8 with a Lumagen VisionDVI, although I opted for the DVI-D board because I wanted to run the panel at native res, albeit limited to 59.94hz or 60.00hz, yet still have the option of running [email protected] for sport. The HDMI board can't drive the panel at native res.

I have all video connections going into the VisionDVI and one DVI-D connection going to the panel. I am very impressed with the results.

If my budget allowed I would have got the VisionHDP as this has some impressive HD video processing capabilities some of which are not available in the VisionDVI, so if you can afford the extra for the HDP it would be a better long term choice. That said, I currently only have SD sources and am not and will not be a Sky subscriber so didn't see a need for the additional features (or cost) of the HDP at this stage.

When the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray dust has settled then I will revisit my video processor choice but for now I am enjoying excellent Freeview and sensational DVD picture quality :)

7. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    Just to add the HDP/HDQ/ProHDP models from Lumagen have 10bit rather than 8bit processors which hugely benefit the image from an SD source.

8. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +942
    Already! When was the 10 bit firmware upgrade released? I thought that was still work in progress.

Nick

9. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,101
    The full 10 bit is not complete. A large chunk of the chain is already 10 bit though and that was one of the large performance jumps in the scaling several months ago.

Gordon

10. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    It's not just one lump of 10bit power. I don't know it as a % of what is expected, but it was late last year that the first big developments became full production. I upgraded to Pro during the chrimbo sale and could very easily identify the difference then on just my SD Panasonic plasma. Has had one more improvement since then, and we are then expecting the full 10bit data path later this year.

11. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Single HDMI output from Lumagen HDP into my Fuji is SUPERB.

Dil

12. smind74

smind74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Dilsher,

Is that a DVI to HDMI cable then ?

13. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    Yeah Dil meant DVI to the HDMI input on the plasma @ 1360 x 768 1:1. ISF calibrated with Sky+ and Philips SDI DVD sources. It really is a jaw-dropping image.

[edit: shame he's still using those bloody Bose speakers and Sony amp for surround :rolleyes: ]

14. smind74

smind74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Cheers Liam, that does sound an awesome combo but still deliberating with myself over Sky HD, Lumagen, etc, etc.

As for speakers, I'm still getting na**ed off with fitting my new KEF 9000 left and rights as I've got power sockets either side of the plasma, and therefore power cables buried in the wall either side of the plasma.

So positioning of them in a similar position to my old KEF 5005's is proving to be a right royal pain in the proverbial a**e!

15. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Hi smind74
    The Lumagen is certainly going to improve your picture and there will be lots on here that can support you in getting the best from it.
    Do you think you'll have the luxury of time to see some other options too?
    You mentioned that SKY is a priority, so I think you should also demo the Pixel Magic Plasma Enhancer Pro and Crystalio processors too.
    The Lumagen has gone through a few improvements since I last compared, but Crystalio certainly impressed me more with SKY when it was in my system.
    I loved it for films as well so a comparison is definitely a good thing, it's just that it's a tricky old game finding places to objectively dem them.

16. smind74

smind74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I definitely have the luxury of time at the mo, as need to start saving.

I guess I'll (eventually) get SKY HD and so think I'll wait and see which processor will be best matched to this system.

An SDI modded SKY plus and Crystallio went on the classifieds recently which would be a good option if it weren't for SKY HD coming along.

17. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Yes, waiting is definitely not a bad thing at the moment. Too much is up in the air to be 100% certain about HD-ready upgrades.