Best used 1080 HD projector for around £300?

Wulbert

I'm looking for a used PJ as an upgrade to my ageing Epson TW3200.

I have been tempted by a couple of Panasonic PT-AE 3000 models in the classifieds here. However I'm not sure that model would represent a significant enough upgrade to make it worth spending my limited cash.

I saw, this morning, a Panasonic AE8000 together with ceiling mount and 10m HDMI sell for £300 on Ebay. I'd have bid on this had I been aware the auction was ending. However, I have also seen question marks over the AE's circuit board longevity. An AE 3000 for sale on here by a member ended up selling for £160 on Ebay yesterday. Is this model particularly unloved as a second hand buy?

I have seen the JVC HD350 rated as a good used buy and alternative to both Epson & Panasonic models in this price range.

What I'm after is a bit more light output ( So I don't have to wait for darkness), better blacks and sharper picture than the TW3200 which I feel can be a bit soft at times. I'm on a tight budget, so 4K machines are way out of reach until their prices drop. I usually buy S/H at the better end of any recently "obsolete" technology rather than pay for the current generation off must have. Can't afford to do otherwise either financially or matrimonially.

The TW3200 is the first and only PJ I have ever bought, so I'm not very well informed. Any thoughts or recommendations?

3rdignis

Maybe you need a new bulb and/or light control

Wulbert

Maybe you need a new bulb and/or light control

Hi,
I'm not sure why you think that? Would a new bulb give me better blacks? Do bulbs go "off"? Genuine questions.

I only paid £180 for the Epson and it has very little value now. I don't think I'd want to pay £133 for a replacement bulb, probably more than the projector is worth.
I do know that there is dust on the LCD panel; shows up as blobs on screen when a black image is projected.

3rdignis

A new bulb won't give you better blacks

Over time lamps get so dim they are next to useless

Screenshot_20211002-211245.jpg
l

I agree £133 for a new bulb is not good value

I took apart and cleaned a dlp to remove dust blobs

If you improved light control, (pond lining and electrical tape over windows) you wouldn't have to wait till evening

Screenshot_20211002-215823.jpg

Wulbert

A new bulb won't give you better blacks

Over time lamps get so dim they are next to useless

View attachment 1580343l

I agree £133 for a new bulb is not good value

I took apart and cleaned a dlp to remove dust blobs

If you improved light control, (pond lining and electrical tape over windows) you wouldn't have to wait till evening

View attachment 1580345

Cheers. I might look into changing the bulb. Or at least see how many hours it has on it. I've done no maintenance on this machine. I do like the images it makes...just enjoyable and natural looking. Cinematic.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom