• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Best use of my av system

wizzbizz

Standard Member
Hi all a very basic question for us raw av fans.
At the moment l have sky plus with a denon 1906 amplifier, denon 1920 dvd player and an xbox 360. l seem to be making very poor use of my sound system and have the amplfier set to 5 speaker surround sound all the time which defeats the purpose of the system.
What tv (films etc have 5 channel surround sound) and what is the best music format to listen to them.
l know basic stuff

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
5 speaker surround???
Not sure what you mean.

Sky has the occasional Dolby 5.1 sound on the HD channels, apparently, but mostly Stereo Dolby 2.1.
X-Box, I believe is 5.1 Dolby, or maybe DTS
All other telly is Stereo (Telewest BBC HD demo is Dolby 5.1, ITV demo is not).

Hence, run telly in Dolby Pro Logic (or 11) and X-box in Dolby surround.

I think :confused: :rolleyes:

I think you have an auto detect on your amp, if so, use that, with PL11 your standard.

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Sounds like Dolby Pro Logic 11.

Sorry mate, but :rtfm: springs to mind.

I don't mean to be offensive, honest :smashin:

I'll try and help if you have other questions:thumbsup:

davybaker

Established Member
For SKY+ you should have an optical lead out of the sky box connected to the back of your denon. This optical input should then be set to TV in if you also run the sky video through the TV in on the amp.

Then select TV via the Denon handset (one of the number keys with TV above it). Then select MODE key on the Denon remote (bottom left under 'input'). Ensure that the Denon display reads 'AUTO' - or rekey the MODE until it does.

Then if you watch a film via SKY+ that has DD 5.1 you will get the correct surround sound.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom