Best use of fixed speakers 7.1, 5.1.2, other?

ARNiTECT

I was running a 7.1 setup, but I'm not sure this is the best arrangement with my speakers:

Left/Right: PMC Twenty5.26 (tweeter height: 910mm, floorstander, front ported)
Centre: PMC Twenty5.C (tweeter height: 800mm, in joinery unit, front ported)
Surrounds: KEF T101 (tweeter height: 1710mm, wall fixed)
Rears: PMC DB1i (tweeter height: 930mm, rear ported)
Sub: SVS SB2000 (speaker center height: 250mm, in joinery unit, sealed)

Drawing below.
I can't really relocate the speakers, I can occasionally bring the front L/R out for music, but generally they stay put.

Before:
Using a miniDSP nanoAVR HD, between the source/processor and the AVR preamp, I routed the speakers for either:
  • 7.1 using all speakers, with KEF T101 as surround and PMC DB1i as rears.
  • 5.1 excluding the KEF T101s and routing the surround channels to the PMC DB1i's
This was because the rear PMC DB1i's are in a typical surround location and they are better speakers than the KEK T101

After:
I have just recently picked up a newer AVR (Arcam AVR 550) with the option for height speakers.
I'm pretty sure there is no option for routing speakers, so I have to choose a setup and stick with it.
Options:
  • 7.1 setup, with all speakers
  • 5.1.2 setup, with KEF T101 as height speakers, at 1710mm from floor-to-tweeter, are they high enough?
  • other setup?

1609091808776.png

Jase

Distinguished Member
I'd try 5.1.2 personally. Are you able to angle the Kefs down towards the main listening position?

ARNiTECT

The Kefs fit flat to the wall,
only 40mm thick

Jase

Distinguished Member
The Kefs fit flat to the wall,
only 40mm thick

Hmm, might be a bit tricky getting them to work well in that case. May just be worth trying them and see how they sound as heights.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED EVO Review (OLED65G1)
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom