Best use of £1000

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by MR2Harvey, Jan 28, 2004.

1. MR2Harvey

MR2Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Right I have £1000 that I am willing to spend on a DVD / CD player. What in your opinion will give me the best Picture Quality and Sound Quality.

I would like to be able to play DVD CD DVDA and possible SACD.

Should i get a DVD player for DVD, DVDA and SACD and get a separate CD player?

I want as good a CD sound as possible within my budget but also as good as Picture Quality too!

To put it into perspective the kit I own is as follows:-

NAD T752 surround amp.

AE EVO 3A Surround speakers:-
    EVO 3's main stero pair
    EVO centre speaker
    EVO compacts for rear effects
    EVO sub woofer

QED Silver speaker cable

Hitachi 42PMA400E plasma panel TV.

Philips CD880 CD player (very old but good) needs replacing

Lecson DVD1000 DVD player (OK but I'm sure I can do better)

I am quiet happy to have either a one box solution or 2 separate ones, just want the best for the £'s

Does any one have any suggestions?

Was thinking of a Denon 2900 DVD to play the lot.
    Or Denon 2200 for DVD, DVDA,SACD, and a good CD player maybe a NAD to match the amp.

How would you spend £1000 if both CD and DVD was important to you?

2. MR2Harvey

MR2Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Come on someone must have a opinion, I'd have thought that a lot of people would be looking to do the same as me :)

3. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    CD and DVD for a grand...hmmm

I guess it has to be...

Denon 2900 (or 2nd hand 3800???)
    Pioneer 868
    Arcam DVXX's

Any should fit the bill and each have relative pro's and con's...

As you say though, you may be better buying a 500 quid CD player and a 500 quid DVD player...just inconvenient and takes more room i guess, probs best bet for outright best of both worlds. All-in-one players are some form of compormise, not matter how good...

p.s. search the 'dvd players' forum with "music replay" - as if by magic, lots of similar questions with nice answers :smashin:

JJ

4. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,239
    I have just bought the Arcam DV89 which is a very impressive DVD player and also does a pretty good job at cds too. The DV89 is also a DVD-Audio player also and they sound great. As far as cd are concerned it is about as good as a £600-800 cd player and the only reason I don't use it to play cds is that I also bought an Arcam CD33T which is considerable superior as would be expected at £1300.

5. MR2Harvey

MR2Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I might well look at an Arcam. That one is £1300 isn't it?

Would this give me a better picture / sound than say the Denon 2200 and say the NAD CD or maybe an Arcam CD player?

6. fama

fama
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    NAD C521BEE
    any cheapo dvd player Ronin,yakumo,compacks,yamakawa
    samsung hd 935 pioneer 565
    or alt.
    naim cd5 cd player
    any cheapo dvd player
    iwas reading a review on projector central comparing
    projectors and they commented they couldnt see any difference between a, i think it was medium price panasonic and a $900
    denon dvd player

7. Pottsy

Pottsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I looked and listened to a few in this range, and the best combo I found was the DV88+

8. MR2Harvey

MR2Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I really want multichannel sound too. I think the Arcam will only play DVD and CD. It has been suggested that I get a DVD player like say the Denon 2200 and also a TAG DAC for CD. What do you think?

9. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,239
    I agree with Pottsy, the DV88+ is a great DVD-V and CD player for the money. Another £300 gets you the DV89 which is just as good if not better for DVD-V and CDs and it also plays DVD-A which is what I gather you were after too. Build quality is second to none, probably due to the fact that they still build their kit in the UK unlike most other companies who just design it here then employ cheap labour abroad to do the dirty work. If you want better all round performance you are going to have to look at the Arcam FMJ DV27A @ £1900. At similar prices are the Denon DVD-2900 and DVD-A11, which I both considered at the time of buying my own machine. My main issue (I sell these things too by the way) is that to make the Denon players multiregion requires a firmware upgrade to the machines, which once applied has been known to cause issues on previous models and Denon flatly refuse to give any support to machines that have been upgraded. On the Arcam it is a simple remote hack to get to the Engineer's menu and set the region setting to 'Auto' and that's it. I also felt that other 'Universal players' that play both SACD and DVD-A are even more of a compromise in sound quality than using a DVD player to play cds. At the of the day the choice is yours, I made my choice from hands on experience of these products day in day out and reliability records. Good luck.

Chris,
    Assistant Manager,
    Sevenoaks Edinburgh.

10. salizar

salizar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0