Best upgrade TV compatible with Yamaha RX-V1900

malairt

Standard Member
Reaction score
Best upgrade TV compatible with Yamaha RX-V1900

Hi folks

In 2008 I bought a Pioneer 50" plasma, Yamaha V1900 and Mission speakers to make a truly rockin' 5.1 living room system. Sky HD, Sony Bluray and a Hotbird satellite as sources plugged into the Yamaha.

Eight years on, the Pioneer now looks small (still good picture!) but the Yamaha and speakers are still producing great sound. There's currently only the one HDMI cable running behind the wall to the tv from the amp and I don't really want to have visible cables running up the wall if I can help it.

Question is
  • what's the best 60 inch or 65 inch telly that will work with the Yamaha? I'm assuming the Yam can't cope with 4K or HDR - there's certainly no mention in the manual.
  • Will a WiFi enabled 4k TV (to pick up Netflix or Amazon) be able to supply sound to the Yamaha through the HDMI cable? (The Pioneer has no speakers).
  • Or am I so out of date I should just bite the bullet and buy a new amp as well as a nice new telly?
Your thoughts and opinions would be most welcome. Many thanks in advance.

Mal

Your AV receiver isn't 4K or UHD compliant so you cannot passthrough 4K video content. You can passthrough video with a resolution of up to 1080p to any TV via HDMI using your receiver even a new TV with a 4K panel. If you wanted to view UHD content on a new 4K TV then you'd either need to connect the source directly to the TV via HDMI or use a receiver that is HDCP 2.2 compliant.

I'd suggest using a wired internet connection to a TV if wanting to access 4K content via that TV's network capabilities. You may get favourable results over wifi, but the higher bandwidth needed for 4K can cause less favourable results over less than perfect wifi networks, especially in households where others may also be using the same wifi network.

Many thanks for taking the time to answer. Much appreciated.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom