1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best upgrade step from Denon AVC-A11SR

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by tjobbins, Aug 10, 2005.

1. tjobbins

tjobbins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

Here's my current setup 7.1 setup:
    Denon AVC-A11SR integrated amp
    Fronts: Dynaudio Contour 1.3 MKIIs
    Centre: Dynaudio Contour Centre
    Surrounds: Dynaudio Audience 42
    Surround Rear: Dynaudio Audience 40
    Sub: Rel Quake (plan to upgrade this too shortly)

I've only just bought the Contours and haven't even picked them up yet. But I realise my current Denon is perhaps a little underpowered to feed these hungry 4ohm speakers. This lead me to think that perhaps a power-amp would give a quality boost to my system.

So I was wondering if anyone could give me some thoughts as to what next step to take in my system. With a budget of £800 or so, should I:

1. Get a power amp, feeding it from my Denon which would remain in use as my pre-amp
    2. Get a pre-amp processor and continue using the Denon as my power amp.

(note I am assuming I will buy second-hand to maximise my buying power)

Given my new Dynaudio Contours which I know to be hungry, the poweramp definitely seems the beter choice - I mention the processor because it crossed my mind that perhaps with advances in digital technology, this could provide a better quality improvement. I also thought about a pre-amp because I would love Room EQ, tho this appears to be quite a way out of my budget.

Ideally I would look for a 7 channel poweramp, however it would also be an option to get just a 5 channel amp if this would allow me more power/quality for my budget. If I did just get 5 channels, I would then continue running my surround-rear channels from the Denon, and the remaining 5 channels would come from the new poweramp.

Given my Denon is currently 125W into 8ohms, I assume I would want a new poweramp to be at least 150-200W into 8ohms, so as to provide the necessary power boost.

I will use the system heavily for movies, but also I listen to a lot of stereo music too. My dedicated HT room is small - 11' by 10'.

Any thoughts much appreciated!

Tom

2. tjobbins

tjobbins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One other option occurred to me.. given that my Contour 1.3 MkIIs are particularly hungry, and I do listen to a lot of stereo music - I could always get a high-end, high-powered stereo power amp which I use purely for these speakers. The remaining 5 channels would continue to be driven from the integrated Denon amp.

3. tjobbins

tjobbins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm actually warming to this theme. A pair of Tag McLaren 125M monoblocs for example:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tag-Mclaren-1...5796604579QQcategoryZ3280QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Monoblocs would also give me the advantage that, at a later date, I could add more monoblocs and upgrade each of the other 5 channels in turn (centre first)

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +930
    Add Poweramps, either a three or five channel job and let the Denon run the remaining Surround Channels. The Denon makes a fine Pre-Amp/Processor. :)