Question Best Upgrade Option

Ohhsobadly

Standard Member
Hi All,

So I have stated upgrading my home cinema. Currently I have a Yamaha RX-V367 and for speakers, The original Whafedale DX1 5.1 speaker set.
So far, my front has been upgraded to a pair of Q Acoustics 3020i's, and have me a 3090 on the way for centre duties.

Question is - I have a small budget for 1 more upgrade at the moment. Should I upgrade the Sub or Receiver? My main use is TV/YouTube, Music and the occasional Movies Through Sky Q, Or other Streaming Apps.

giggsy1950

I would upgrade your sub, but if the budget is small I would wait a little while and put some more towards it. If you give room dimensions and budget I'm sure the knowledgeable folks on here would give you some ideas

giggsy1950

I would suggest BK as a good starting point. They are well liked on the forums and that sort of money should see a good sub for your size of room 👍

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Second vote for sub rather than receiver!

Is this wrong finish or too far away for pickup? I wonder how old this is as you typically can get new grade-b for 410£ shipped.

This is also good product, slightly better for movies than XXLS400 but sadly no warranty and the price is bit highish as if you wait few months you can get brand new XXLS400 with 2year warranty for same or P12-PR for ~430£ as grade-b..

Ohhsobadly

Standard Member
I have that BK on Watch - About 3+ hours round trip. As for the SVS (also on watch) I know they are good. Just wondering how it compares to the XXLS etc.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I have that BK on Watch - About 3+ hours round trip. As for the SVS (also on watch) I know they are good. Just wondering how it compares to the XXLS etc.
I think it was talked in the comments of this review as Russell has heard both, good review if you haven´t read yet. It has better low end for movies than XXLS400 if that matters.

That model is still being sold by SVS around December only, every year! You can probably find 100+ threads for it from AVSForum (US). Very popular model and good product. It sits between SB1000 and SB2000 performance wise.

giggsy1950

If your main interest is music I would look go for a sealed sub. The XXLS400 is well regarded on here. Might be worth leaving it a little while and looking towards that direction. SVS are great subs (I have one) but they are pretty pricey.

Last edited:

Ohhsobadly

Standard Member
Yeah - Those XXLS400'S are light on the ground at the mo. I have tried bagging a Monolith, as a few are floating around, however no luck as delivery is out of the question for the sellers.

On the other hand. I just missed a great deal on Denon 2600 (Was right on budget), By literally seconds.

In terms out sound improvement - Would the Receiver not improve sub woofer sound stage. For example using Audyssey? or the improved YPAO? (I assume some improvement over the YPAO on my current receiver)

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
In terms out sound improvement - Would the Receiver not improve sub woofer sound stage. For example using Audyssey? or the improved YPAO? (I assume some improvement over the YPAO on my current receiver)
No. Not any of those you are looking. YPAO even the flagship doesn´t do enough subwoofer eq as you might have noticed people are buying Antimodes. That has been mentioned reviews many times including AVF reviews.

The MultEQ XT from the REW graphs i have seen doesn´t do much of anything for the sub, it sadly works higher up where most people don´t feel the correction is needed. Now when you jump to X3x00H machine you get XT32 and it works very much opposite. So if you want good receiver i would suggest to save up for some 3000 serie Denon after you have bought subwoofer. You also get dual subwoofer eq with XT32, with XT it sees two as one.

While your receiver isn´t anything special, it will work fine for now. Concentrate on getting best subwoofer you can! Monolith would be my pick for movies, but it might be also trickier to fit second in future if you feel you want to go that route. Have you called BK and asked what is the current situation, how long have to wait for them to get parts?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LCD TVs for Movies, Physical Discs?, RIP Ennio Morricone, AV & Movie news, B+W Matt Damon

Trending threads

Top Bottom