1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best upgrade - new speakers or new amp

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by SanPedro, Sep 29, 2003.

1. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    Hi all

Hope you can help. What's going to give me the biggest improvement over my current system.

Samsung 709 player
    Sherwood receiver (6095)
    Eltax Symphony 6 fronts
    Eltax symphony centre
    Eltax HT2 Bipolar rears.
    Servo 15, currently in at the menders :(

I popped into 7oaks in Manchester on Saturday. Had a listen to their reference system: M&K speakers all round plus top of the range Denon DVD and receiver. Plus some £8500K DLP projector that I can't remember the name of.

Sounded pretty awesome All £40k of it (or so they said).

Now it sounded good, but I didn't think £40k worth (IMHO).

Thing is though, what should I update first? And how much would you have to spend to get close to their ref system? (excl PJ). Basically what would 75% of that sound system cost in real terms before you get to the law of diminishing returns. I'd like to approach some of the scale of that system without breaking the bank.

7oaks suggested the M&K K series at £1100 (K17 fronts and the tripolar rears) as opposed to buying a new amp. Quote: 'buying a more powerful receiver will probably fry your existing speakers when used over 2-3 hours of a movie'.

Sounded like crap to me.

Now the K series look tiny, are they really that good? And would they integrate well with my Servo 15 when it returns? And are they good with music as well?

Cheers guys.

Chris L

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I firmly believe that my own system has a very high percentage of the super systems' performance but at much lower costs as much of it has been bought second hand.

There is a Denon AVC10SE for sale in the classifieds for just over £500 which was Denon's £1,300 flagship a couple of years ago. It doesn't have Pro Logic 2 or amplification for an extra pair of rears (although it has decoding for them) but what it does have is absolutely superb processing and amplification.

I bought three good M&K speakers for the front and kept my cheaper Mission bipoles at the rear until a pair of M&K K4v tripoles turned up in the classifieds here.

If you can wait, try and hold out for a pair or three S85 speakers as these have now been discontinued and will make ideal fronts.

3. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    Thanks Ian

Makes a lot of sense to go 2nd hand. They had some ex-demo m&k fronts at 7oaks for about £250 off (down from £750) which looked a good deal.

But I'm a bit suspicious now of buying 2nd hand after my experience so far with the Servo 15. Maybe I was just unlucky. But if I ever get hold of the !@#?? that sold it to me....

I think when it comes to Amps it should be the way to go. The basic technology seems similar from one year to the next, with just added 'features' and sound formats.

£500 sounds like a steal. Will have a look.

But the stuff about a new amp frying my existing speakers.. BS or what?

Cheers

Chris

4. Foley Artist

Foley Artist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :rotfl: Classic. I would suggest buying a new amp and no, it won't fry your current speakers.

5. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    Sure is. The Denon in the Classifieds is a stormer. Definitely worth a look.:smashin:

6. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    The eltax will be fine with a new amp. I now have 2 sets of eltax and they have not gone bang yet.

7. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Hi, yeah, check out my kit (on my sig) - and I've had my speakers for almost 2 years...and I play it loud at times!
    I would suggest a new amp...

8. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    It's only 5.1 tho.

Would storming 5.1 be better than so-so 6.1. ie buy this amp instead of the 2803/3803.

I guess the big Denon would be better with music also.

Chris L

9. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    Only 5 channels of amplification but it has THX Surround EX decoding. The partnering power amp POA-T10 is the 2ch that amp that you would use with the A10SE either to drive the front left and right channels or for the surround back channels.

The A10SE is no slouch in the music dept either.:) Whilst it's an older amp I would still take it in comparison to a 2803 or even 3803 (assuming you don't need it's extra features like Audio Delay for Lip-Sync etc etc).