Best upgrade from my Tannoy SFX 5.1 system

Tegs200

Hello,
I have used this set up for the last 3 years and it's been great but now one of my front speakers has blown and it's about time I upgraded , looking for a set up to go with my Onkyo SR 606 for around £300, any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Does it have to be another sub/sat system?
Have you considered just upgrading the front 3 speakers instead of the whole set? This will give much better overall results and speakers that will really get the best from your receiver. Your current Tannoys (and any £300 speaker set) is not going to do your receiver justice.
I would look at the Wharfedale Diamond 10 series as the front 3 for example.

Tegs200

Does it have to be another sub/sat system?
Have you considered just upgrading the front 3 speakers instead of the whole set? This will give much better overall results and speakers that will really get the best from your receiver. Your current Tannoys (and any £300 speaker set) is not going to do your receiver justice.
I would look at the Wharfedale Diamond 10 series as the front 3 for example.
Will this set up work ok with my original 2rear Tannoy speakers and sub? And is this set up just 2 front speakers or 3? Thanks again.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
You could continue to use your current Tannoy rears and sub and then upgrade them later. There are dedicated centre speakers in the Diamond 10 range so I would recommend changing the front 3 speakers at the same time.

Tegs200

You could continue to use your current Tannoy rears and sub and then upgrade them later. There are dedicated centre speakers in the Diamond 10 range so I would recommend changing the front 3 speakers at the same time.

The only problem is the diamond set up is that its just the 2 speakers and I would need 3 with the center one? Or can I buy one that comes with the 3?

PSM1

Distinguished Member
You can buy the centre speaker by itself to get the 3 speakers. If you loook in somewhere like Superfi under Centre Speakers you will find the Diamond 10 centre (there are 3 models of different sizes, CC, CM etc.)

Tegs200

You can buy the centre speaker by itself to get the 3 speakers. If you loook in somewhere like Superfi under Centre Speakers you will find the Diamond 10 centre (there are 3 models of different sizes, CC, CM etc.)
Thanks again for all your help.

technique786

Novice Member
I just ordered the Canton 125 MX after much research but if you like tannoy there are the Tannoy hts-101 for around £350 or in competition with the cantons for price the bostan acoustics xs range at around £250.

For the budget i would have thought one of these sets wins, the similarly priced jamo is said to lack in base by many but i havent had the luxary of testing them

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom