1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Up-grade lenses or other?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by henry1234, Nov 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. henry1234

henry1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have been reading this forum and getting back into Home Cinema after a couple of years of no upgrades and just watching films. I'm back to fiddling with settings half way through a film rather than just sitting back and relaxing. I have a Seleco 320 (the 350 without t.v tuner), which does seem to fall a long way short of most people projectors on this forum.

Can anyone suggest a simply upgrade? I recently blacked out the entire room with black draps covering the walls and ceiling. This made a big difference to contrast and colour but the picture is still soft.

I know the projector can't be line doubled but what about changing the hybrid lenses to some glass one's, HD145 I think? Would this make much of a difference and would I need to re-hang the projector or re-converge the whole thing again.

What about a proffesional install, colour balance and the like? I must admit to setting it up myself, and I think I've done a good job, I spent day's getting the convergence right but I can't seem to get rid of blue halo's on blacks against white backgrounds.

Any other advice? I don't have much money to spend, the projectors feed by a dvd play (old Sony DVP S7700).

2. popeye

popeye
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used to have a Seleco 400 and I upgraded the Delta Tac plastic lenses to HD145 Glass lenses. The biggest difference between the lenses is that the focas will be considerably sharper.
    This makes converging easier.

You will notice at the moment when you bring up the cross hatch test pattern on your 350 that there is a blue haze around everything and the focas will be soft.
    If you decide to upgrade everything will sharpen up and help you converge the blue tube in particlar more accurately.

You can fit HD145 or HD6 lenses to your 350. They are easy to fit, just four butter fly screws hold the lenses in place. You will have to adjust the shims and the convergence will need to be adjusted accordingly. You shouldn't have to re postion the projector.

Expect to pay around £400 mark for a second hand set of HD6 lenses and a little more for HD145.

I know Roland at B4 some times has spare lenses in stock.

popeye:)

3. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I would also say that a lens change would be a very worthwhile addition. I also used a 320, and picked up a set of HD6s (I don't think it would be worth paying more for HD-145s on a 320, but if they are the same price, why not) . The difference was considerable. Its easier to get a better focus, altough you will always get a bit of "blue glow".

The good thing with a lens upgrade is that it won't date. i e, you will always get your money back if you sell the PJ. I wish I could say the same for scalers!! :(

Regards Rob.

4. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Certainly up grading the lenses will make a big differnce.
    I have responded to your email now with all the prices. I think your best option would be to go for HD6 lenses.

There seems to be a bit of confusion about lenses being passed about.
    All glass lenses have not been in production for quite some time. They were supurbly sharp and heavy but not as efficient as the more common HYBRID lenses like the HD6 and HD145 lenses. Hybrid lenses use a mixture of glass and plastic elements to combine sharpness and light output.

I currently have them all in stock

5. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    A good convergence and a couple of expert tweaks;) can get rid of the blue glow even on a 320 with its original lenses.:)

With so many good SVP400's up for sale right now at £2000 - £2500, and 320/350s fetching £1500 - £1800 it wouldn't cost that much to change the projector and the lenses. They all use the same bracket and work on the same throw distance. :D

Regards

6. henry1234

henry1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Chris,

It's actually a 310, but it's easier to call it a 320.

My 310 only has about 600-800 hours its just turned 3 and has been used regularly each week. The contrast setting has never been used above much above 50.

If you want to buy this for £1800 and sell me a 400 for £2000 with the same age, use and hours then let me know ;)

I'm going ahead with the lense upgrade as I can always transfer or sell them on.

I'd like to upgrade the projector but money's tight at the moment.

If I had a 400 would I be able to use the progressive scan output from a modern dvd player AND the line doubler function of the Seleco SVP400?

Michael

7. GagHalfrunt

GagHalfrunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    [MOD EDIT - removed old link]

8. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Michael,
    Early SVP400’s didn’t have a component progressive scan input. The later 400Plus and 450 models did. However, any older 400 can be upgraded. Speak to Owl on 01825 766123 for further advice and costs.

You are welcome.

Regards

9. peter350

peter350

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Chris, as you know I have the good convergence and expert tweaks on my orginal lensed 400:)

Would I get a big improvement from upgrading my lenses? Just wondering.

Henry, obviously I can't comment on your convergence skills but in my experience a professional convergence is well worth it.

Regards Peter

10. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Peter,

Prior to selling my '400 I replaced the original lenses with HD145's followed by some addition tweaking by Chris. The difference was significant, the image is much sharper which allows for much better convergence. If you can afford the upgrade it is definately worthwhile.

Steve

11. peter350

peter350

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Steve,
    Thanks for the info. Do you know a good source for the HD145s and the approx. cost.?

Regards Peter

12. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Roland @ B4 projection has these lenses in stock I think, drop him a message. I dont know his current pricing but the RRP of them is over £2K and Roland sold me some in the mid £00's.

Steve

13. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Peter,
    The higher quality lenses will give a much sharper image. Fine detail like skin textures will be revealed more clearly. After upgrading from the internal line doubler to an external doubler/scaler changing the lenses is the second most beneficial upgrade.

If you decide to go this route then we should also change the power supply fan for a quieter one. We have to take some of the case work off to change the lenses, so it makes sense to do the fan change at the same time.

BTW. Got the Electras running really nice with a TAG, a stack of bridged Rotels and some Naim cable. Turns out there was a loose connection on the terminal plate, nothing major. Would love to hear this with some Brystons :D Thanks

Regards

14. peter350

peter350

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks Chris

I am pleased to hear the speaker was nothing major.

I have sent you a pm re lenses.

Regards Peter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.