Best universal remote?

jayr6666

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there,
Looking for advice on which remote for about £150-£200,i have hitachi plasma,sky+,yamaha receiver,ps2(ir extender}jvc video recorder(remember them?] and a pioneer dvd recorder[oh,and a samsung950 dvd player].i've heard the harmony range is good but quite tricky to set up,is this true?cheers.jay.

The Harmony will do fine. Some people find it quirky to set up, but for most people(me included) the setup is incredibly easy.

Either way, it is still far easier to set up than anything else on the market(apart from the really simple device orientated remotes, but they aren't anywhere near as powerful, so not really a fair comparison)

I tried the Harmony 895 and only managed to get it more or less working after several hours on the help line which luckily is a free phone number.

I resold it because the only way I could get it to connect to the internet (which you need to do to set it up) was to totally disable Norton Anti Virus and Firewall by taking them out of my startup directory on my computer !

I also found that the RF range was not as good as what I have been using for years - a Marantz RC2000 Mk II which I had modified with an RF transmitter added.

czzer said:
The Harmony will do fine. Some people find it quirky to set up, but for most people(me included) the setup is incredibly easy.

Either way, it is still far easier to set up than anything else on the market(apart from the really simple device orientated remotes, but they aren't anywhere near as powerful, so not really a fair comparison)

There is a subtle hint in your words that anyone who finds a Harmony remote 'quirky to set up' is simply not grasping how to use it. In fact, it is the people who run the Harmony website who need a lesson in how to use technology and create a website that is intuitively laid out with correct database entries. I had multiple issues with a Harmony 525 (see posts). It would be the last remote I would recommend unless I really didn't like them :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom