Best universal player with CDs?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jag1967, Jan 13, 2004.

1. jag1967

jag1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

I've been on some other sections, but now realised that this is the best place to get your valuable advice. I hope this gets counted as new thread as it's a specific question, but apologies in advance if I've screwed up.

Basically, I'm a building system which is hifi-orientated and can do home cinema (as I mainly listen to music), but really don't have the space/budget for too many boxes.

What would be the best universal player (£450 max) which could play cds really well, in addition to all the other main music (sacd, dvd-a) and dvd formats (especially dvd-r/rw)?

I having been considering the denon 2200 as it's had good user reviews, though not so great mag reviews when considering its cd playing abilities. Its big brother 2900 is better at CDs but out of my price range

As it's been pointed out to me, I could go the DAC route, but can't cope with the extra box and the added complexity. (Maybe for my next upgrade...)

Is the 2200 the best deal as a cd player?

thanx
    jag

2. jameslindsey

jameslindsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I've been wondering on this one also.

Do I get a reasonable DVD player & a separate CD player or will a DVD costing the same price as the two do the same job?

Pondering a Pioneer 5 or 7 series as they are being discounted and match my amp.

My old Panasonic is not DTS and is a little basic now but no complaints on picture/sound quality.

3. jag1967

jag1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In a review of universal players this month, the pioneer 5 was seen to be limited, but the 7 much better. The denon 2900 came out on top over the 7, however. But if you are getting a decent discount, might be worth it.

It seems like to get any real quality for my budget, a dedicated cd player is probably the best option, but still searching for the possibility of an acceptable 1-box compromise. I will demo the denon 2200 soon.

(BTW, being a relative newbie, I'm a little confused about whether some AV receivers have separate 2 channel stereo internal dacs. Therefore, if you had a high quality one, the dvd player optical output would bypass its own dac?? And then you wouldn't need to be concerned about its limited cd playing abilities? Maybe someone could point me to a relevant thread please)

4. jameslindsey

jameslindsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Unlikely will probably use only 2 channels of the surround DACs.

I recently did a coparison on my setup.

DVD Built in AC3 (analogue out to pre ins on Amp)compared to optical out to conversion in AMP. Amp won hands down, more detail and clarity and a bit morre bass welly.

DVD built in Stereo (Analogue phono leads) to analogue direct on amp compared to optical out and stereo ouptu using Amps Dacs. Test inconclusive could not determine a difference.

My DVD is ancient however at least 5 years old and I think things have come on a pace. It did sound beter than my Marantz CD52 (£250ish) at time of purchase but I spose a decent budget CD player will be better these days.

Might buy a goodish DVD player and if still unhappy save up for a separate CD later. Now do I worry about DVDa or SACD? Nothing tempting in the catalogues at the moment but there may be eventually.....