Best type of TV at 46" that will handle SD well!

Paul MC007

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I have a bit of a dilemma. What I am about to ask is also probably one of those "old chestnuts" so apologies if you've read stuff like this countless times before - it's just that I wanted to start a new thread with my situation and see what others think....

For the past two years, I've had, as our main tv, a 42" Panasonic Plasma, PX80. Generally, I am very pleased with it. Although I watch mainly SD freeview, I think the picture is really good.

The time has come for me to move this TV into a new games room for the kids (!) and I am therefore thinking of getting a new tv. I would like to go slightly bigger than 42" - so I am thinking around 46/47" (I think my front room will be just too small to handle a 50"!)

Now, whilst I am happy with my current Panasonic plasma, there are a couple of things that bug me about it. Firstly, I think I like quite "bright" pictures - I upgraded originally from a 32" CRT - which the kids still currently have - and to me, the PX80 plasma looks a little "dull" sometimes in comparison - whites for example (white screen) look a little washed out. I've tried experimenting with the brightness/contrast etc but sometimes I find myself wishing I could achieve a brighter picture (but I refuse to put it in that awful 'dynamic' mode that shops tend to use!!) I also do see phosphor trails - although this is something I have just got used to....it's not that bad.

Now, obviously, looking around recently brings me to the vast array of LED LCD's/LCD tv's. Obviously, they do have a "brighter" picture. BUT - I purchased a JVC 24" set (LCD) for our bedroom and although the picture is quite "bright/crisp" - there is something about it I don't like. The viewing angle isn't great so it goes dark when you look from below/side/above etc..From a distance it looks quite "ok" - but here's my real dilemma:

I only sit about 10 foot max away from the screen. So, say at 46", would an LED/LCD look worse on SD Freeview than my current plasma? I guess each set varies and the best thing is to try and get demo's - but not easy sometimes, as alot of stores don't have their sets connected to freeview - so you only get to see what HD source they are pumping through the set to make them look good!

I am tempted to stick with plasma when I change tv's - but, as I say, I am a little worried that the picture will again look a little dull (?).... I guess that's my main concern really.... As I say, at present, I really do only watch Freeview SD material (with some dvd's at times!) so any recommendations on what sets you've watched at 46" with SD freeview would be appreciated...

Not sure what to do or what to get. Obviously, LCD/LED tv's look great in stores but would SD freeview images tend to look a little....well....false if you know what I mean.... plus, is Plasma still current tech? I kind of feel that stores are obviously pushing LCD/LED's more and this perhaps is the way to go....

I'm confused!

:confused:

Mate stick with plasma, I know what you mean about the PX80 I had the same set. I now have a 42" V20 and WOW its simply light years away from the PX80, you want bright, this set has it, even better it has dark too unlike an LCD lol this set is as deep as it gets now. Viewing angles are not an issue, as you know you had a plasma:) It gets better! you dont need to spend on a V20 to get this, the G20 is almost identicl to the V, only really missing out on the deep black level by a wee bit.

The bad news is the 50hz bug people will tell you about, sadly with some 50hz SD the 2010 sets have posterizing/false contour issues. This does seem to vary from set to set though, I had issues with this a lot with my set, but it has improved a lot over time, and for me isnt an issue anymore.

A Good alternative would be the 50" LGs, you can get a 46" G20 for around £800 now or a 50" LG PK590 for around £650. The LGs have a more reflective screen, more prone to IR(tho guessing less than my old PX80) they have slightly lighter black levels, but importantly they dont have the 50hz issue of the Panasonics.

I know what you mean about the LED sets too, I find them fake looking somehow, plasma seems richer and deeper to my eyes.

The LG 50PK590 is down below £630 now actually, from Amazon at the moment if you were interested in that. It's certainly considerably cheaper, some £220 than the Panasonic TXP46G20B. But there's no doubting that the Panasonic is the most popular 46 inch plasma right now on merit!

Thanks for your info (and Scooby 2000 above!) - I'm in a fortunate enough position that budget isn't a problem what so ever - so I am tempted to go for the Panasonic G20....

I've done some reading up on the reviews, and they all seem to think (as Scooby 2000 points out) that the picture is brighter than previous models, so that's one of my main concerns...

The more I look at LCD/LED images, the more I don't like them - so if I can get a brighter picture on a plasma, then plasma it will be!

Thanks!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom