Best type of FM Aerial

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by DelboyWR450, Sep 4, 2007.

1. DelboyWR450

DelboyWR450

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am wanting to improve my FM reception. Is it better to go for one of the round omni-directional aerials or the directional type with 2, 3 or 4 elements that make up the aerial (I've seen a few variations on this theme). It would be nice to pick up Capital Radio without any hissing and interference. I gather that you need another aerial if you want Dab aswell, or can one of these types pick up Dab too. I think I would prefer to have it sited in the loft space to save money on installation and have less clutter bolted to the house, do you think that the reception would suffer if I done that? Or is it essential to have it outside. I appreciate any help in pointing this aerial numpty in the right direction :rolleyes: In case it's relevant I live in Crawley, West Sussex.

2. Sonic67

Sonic67
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,384
    the element type is directional and good if you want to aim at a specific transmitter. Good if you are in the middle of nowhere and have one distant transmitter to go for.

Round types get a signal from everywhere but if the signal is weak may get more interference too.

If in the loft you will lose some signal but still much better than a piece of wire hanging out the set.

DAB will work with VHF aerials but work better with their specific design.

I have a round aerial in the loft and it works well. I live in the Birmingham area.

3. flying haggis

flying haggis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8

an FM aerial is not suitable for receiving DAB as the fm aerial must be sited horizontally and a DAB aerial must be sited with the element(s) vertical.
    forget the round omni types and as you live in crawley i would think that a 3 or 4 element aerial would be suitable to pick up Capital which is broadcast from near crystal palace, especially if you decide to fit it outside (the best location)and bear in mind that an FM aerial is quite a big beast so might not fit in your loft depending on the angle that it needs to point in.
    check out this site for aerials http://www.satcure.com/sitemap.xml and you will see that even a 4 element FM is only £14.95 and a DAB only £11.95 and please use good quality coax ie CT100 to ensure the best possible signal

4. DelboyWR450

DelboyWR450

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks guys. I think I will go for the external option if the aerial takes up a lot of room in the loft. Sounds like I need a directional aerial. Does anyone know if BBC Radio London is also transmitted from the same transmitter?

5. Ianfromnotts

Ianfromnotts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
  6. DelboyWR450

DelboyWR450

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    They look quite big to me, like about 2 metres :eek: My plan is to try it in the loft and then if it doesn't work that well in there have it mounted on the roof. My research shows the 4 element aerials are about 1 metre long.
    Is it worth using satellite cable as it has better shielding? Just that I can pick it up tomorrow morning along with a 4 element FM aerial from a local electrical distributors.

7. flying haggis

flying haggis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    re use of sat cable, that is what ct100 is, and is what i said in my previous post.
    bbc london is broadcast from crystal palace and will be "seen" by your aerial as easily as it sees croydon for Capital especially if you point it between the two transmitters

re the ron smith aerials in the above post
    the galaxie 17 is approx 2 metres long, 2 metres wide and a metre high
    and the galaxie 23 is approx 4 metres long , 2 metres wide and a metre high !!!!!!!

try imagining a cardboard box that size and pointing it in the right direction in your loft!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. DelboyWR450

DelboyWR450

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks Guys, I'll give the 4 element a try, there is one available here in TLC Direct, Crawley. For reference I'll let everyone know if it is an improvement over my old twin wire setup. I didn't know the satellite cable was the CT100 cable (I couldn't find it in the earlier posts). I'll use it for the TV aerial aswell, it seems a cheap upgrade. Thanks all the same for the help