Best TVs of 2020 - Editor's Choice Awards - news discussion

Too many panel flaws.

77" oleds have a lot of panel flaws, that's why Panasonic never went there.

Doesn’t seem to be a problem for Lg or Sony (I k ow they use the same panel but it’s clearly viable for 2 of the big 3)

I think your logic is quite flawed.
Forums like this always will show the few people dissatisfied rather then the majority of people that are content and happy.
It’s been a few years of LG and Sony (2 of the big 3) doing 77-if it didn’t make economic sense I’m sure they would have abandoned years ago.

Seems like a good spread, many different brands present - great for prices :) !

Can we all agree that no brand should win a 'Smart TV' award this year :rotfl:,

• LG: very user friendly and fast but missing freeview play, not just the apps but the functionality it offer and no HDR10+
  • Samsung: best app selection but not offering freeview play and still no Dolby Vision :mad:
  • Sony Android: Great updates this year now TV apple TV BT TV ect. But missing HDR10+ and still having speed/stability issues
  • Panasonic: Best freeview catch up functionality and best HDR support but missing new apps such as Disney+ and apple TV as well as others
Pick your poison

Add an apple TV box to any of these and you'll never use the inbuilt smart
Panasonic don't put 'freesat' tuners in their TVs they are just use open satellite tuners. Freesat is a company a manufacturer pay a license to and they supply a menu and EPG.

Panasonics satellite tuners work perfectly fine they just choose not to pay a licence to Freesat as there is a market for having open satellite and not being locked down, I.e open satellite has more HD channels than freesat.

Just watch out, LG offer single tuners of freesat not dual tuners so no recording capabilities and no catch up apps of course (apart from BBC iPlayer). And SONY do not support HDMI 2.1 on their OLEDs and have only recently updated to have Freesat

Sadly its hard to find a TV that does everything these days
To add to that.
Panasonic TVs are not only sold in the UK. Some country's don't have terrestrial none satellite broadcasts & others use a CAM card to access services.
It wouldn't make commercial sense to alter the manufacturing process to be country specific.
So all sets get satellite & terrestrial tuners as well as a CAM input slot.

Wish the HZ2000 had HDMI 2.1. Would have been allover it this year.

Settled on the CX, pretty nice list.

Wish the HZ2000 had HDMI 2.1. Would have been allover it this year.

Settled on the CX, pretty nice list.

2.1 is overhyped. It has some 2.1 features.

That sucks. You'll have to resort to 4k/60fps which...basically looks and.feels exactly the same...

Give over. It's like a night and day difference. It's not as big as the 30 to 60 jump but 60fps to 120 is a fantastic jump and upgrade.

Which is why Panasonic market their OLEDs for movie enthusiasts, not gamers.

Yeah that's fair.
I just wish it had it so we didn't have to compromise.

Give over. It's like a night and day difference. It's not as big as the 30 to 60 jump but 60fps to 120 is a fantastic jump and upgrade.

Nah, I'd argue that's a pretty niche view. For casual gaming, 60fps to 120fps virtually unnoticeable. Even if you personally are evolved enough to see it, to imply that NOT having that feature is a significant compromise is bonkers.

Most people won't care. Most people DON'T care...(although I appreciate that this is a harder sell on an A/V forum)

The A8 was a runner up in many areas, it is a great TV and it got a very good review from me.
I too like the look of the A8 and the acoustic service audio is a bonus, I also like the HZ1500. If you need to have an external soundbar with either of these sets to enjoy films it seems a better idea to buy an HZ980 and a soundbar and save money.

I too like the look of the A8 and the acoustic service audio is a bonus, I also like the HZ1500. If you need to have an external soundbar with either of these sets to enjoy films it seems a better idea to buy an HZ980 and a soundbar and save money.
The HZ980 uses last years panel and processor, not the same as the HZ1000, HZ1500 and HZ2000. So, if you want a Panasonic and add an offboard sound system, the HZ1000 is the best choice.

or if you would like a 77 inch like a rising amount of households then you are better off with the A8

Pretty sure there is a red tint to the right hand side on that HZ2000 :p

Because who wants to use a small monitor for console gaming?

32" even 40" is fine at a desk, but at 8'+ they're a bit small these days...

Who needs 10 inputs?

Because who wants to use a small monitor for console gaming?

32" even 40" is fine at a desk, but at 8'+ they're a bit small these days...

Who needs 10 inputs?

Manufacturers need to make larger gaming monitors to satisfy the gaming crowd. To separate them from the videophile/cinephile crowd that wants the best image quality for movies and TV.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom