Best TV under £1200-I only care about picture quality.

Bv09

Novice Member
Hi all,
I plan to use chrome cast or fire stick most of the time and will probably not watch anything live.
I need it for my bedroom Wall and 55” looks right for the variety of tvs available and return on investment. But if there is anything better I don’t mind going up to 60.
The only thing I care about is picture quality and sound (but I won’t mind spending up to £250 on a sound bar if I get better picture quality for the price. I will be watching it from my bed so viewing angles are not a big issue but I’d still like a bright display (1000cd/m), at least 120hz refresh rate and a 10 bit panel as I was told that’s best for my needs unless someone says otherwise.
I am not sure how hdr10 and hlg works but would again like to make sure that I am not missing out on the crispness if the video quality.
I have always liked oled but not sure if that’s best for my room (Would prefer something with a screen burn warranty if possible?) as qled and high end IPS or LCD screens could always be better. In essence I want to watch Planet Earth 2 as it was intended but on a budget of 1200ish And if I can play some iPad games on it would be a bonus.
Ambilights have also interested me as I feel like that will enhance the experience. I had the following in mind and I’d like your suggestions/recommendations for these please.
LG-C1? (Do they still struggle with wrgb)
samsung - Q series?
Philips - Ambilight series 55OLED805
sony - does anyone still recommend it?

Last edited:

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
Hi all,
I plan to use chrome cast or fire stick most of the time and will probably not watch anything live.
I need it for my bedroom Wall and 55” looks right for the variety of tvs available and return on investment. But if there is anything better I don’t mind going up to 60.
The only thing I care about is picture quality and sound (but I won’t mind spending up to £250 on a sound bar if I get better picture quality for the price. I will be watching it from my bed so viewing angles are not a big issue but I’d still like a bright display (1000cd/m), at least 120hz refresh rate and a 10 bit panel as I was told that’s best for my needs unless someone says otherwise.
I am not sure how hdr10 and hlg works but would again like to make sure that I am not missing out on the crispness if the video quality.
I have always liked oled but not sure if that’s best for my room (Would prefer something with a screen burn warranty if possible?) as qled and high end IPS or LCD screens could always be better. In essence I want to watch Planet Earth 2 as it was intended but on a budget of 1200ish And if I can play some iPad games on it would be a bonus.
Ambilights have also interested me as I feel like that will enhance the experience. I had the following in mind and I’d like your suggestions/recommendations for these please.
LG-C1? (Do they still struggle with wrgb)
samsung - Q series?
Philips - Ambilight series 55OLED805
sony - does anyone still recommend it?

You'll struggle to beat this Sony BRAVIA KD55XH9505BU

Dodgexander

60" is not a common size nowadays, 65" and 55" are sizes that high end TVs are sold.

What is it that makes you think you'll need a screen burn warranty? Do you have specific content that puts you at risk? John Lewis sell insurance that covers burn in as an optional extra. Otherwise its LGs more 'premium' OLEDs that cover panel damage like the G1.

Samsung's advertised warranty for burn in is just a ploy to get customers away from LG OLEDs, its not something you really have to think of at all when it comes to LCD TVs.

Usual recommendations on the LCD TV front are Samsung Q90T/Q95T or Sony XH9505. With OLEDs there's lots of models with similar picture quality, they all share LG panels, so perform very similar.

I'd avoid 2021 stock since its currently overpriced, look at 2020 models at a discount instead.

Bv09

Novice Member
60" is not a common size nowadays, 65" and 55" are sizes that high end TVs are sold.

What is it that makes you think you'll need a screen burn warranty? Do you have specific content that puts you at risk? John Lewis sell insurance that covers burn in as an optional extra. Otherwise its LGs more 'premium' OLEDs that cover panel damage like the G1.

Samsung's advertised warranty for burn in is just a ploy to get customers away from LG OLEDs, its not something you really have to think of at all when it comes to LCD TVs.

Usual recommendations on the LCD TV front are Samsung Q90T/Q95T or Sony XH9505. With OLEDs there's lots of models with similar picture quality, they all share LG panels, so perform very similar.

I'd avoid 2021 stock since its currently overpriced, look at 2020 models at a discount instead.

Thanks for the links. I did go through them before posting but I wanted to have a chat to have more custom recommendations for my need.
The only worry I have with OLED is that I like to watch documentaries and usually, there are logos in the corner. I don't think I will watch it for 8 hours a day with the same logo so might not be a worry after all?
Are you saying The Philips Ambilight OLED and LEG OLED have the same panel?
Also, the lack of HDR 10+ in budget OLED is not a problem for streamers, is it? Something I will miss?

Dodgexander

Are you saying The Philips Ambilight OLED and LEG OLED have the same panel?
Yes, LG are currently the sole manufacturers of OLED panels.
Also, the lack of HDR 10+ in budget OLED is not a problem for streamers, is it? Something I will miss?
No. If a TV doesn't support HDR10+ it will fall back to HDR10.

You don't have to worry about burn in unless you have dangerous usage. Watching documentaries isn't dangerous at all. If you wanted peace of mind you could always go for the LG which has a means to dim these logos. For extra peace of mind again you could buy insurance from John Lewis that cover burn in.

Also, if you went for a 2021 model with the new LG EVO panel like the Sony A80J or LG G1 then you'd also be buying a panel that's more durable. I'd recommend against buying both these currently though, they are overpriced having just been released.

Bv09

Novice Member
Alright, in that case, what should I go for. I don't mind OLED anymore, I just want the BEST picture quality in that price lol. Is OLED the way to go then? Or should I consider the recommended BRAVIA KD55XH9505BU?
I think I am more confused now. HDR10+ or OLED? What seems to "look" better?

Dodgexander

Alright, in that case, what should I go for. I don't mind OLED anymore, I just want the BEST picture quality in that price lol. Is OLED the way to go then? Or should I consider the recommended BRAVIA KD55XH9505BU?
There's no 'best' all OLEDs are remarkably similar, its a matter of choosing which fits the bill outside of picture quality, since all trade blows.

Also, some people prefer LCD TVs to OLEDs...there's no 'best' between those either. As long as you're buying a high tier model, you won't be disappointed.
What looks better to you could be completely different to others, have a read up on LCD vs OLED tech (I have some guides in my signature) and see what is more suited for you.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom