Question Best TV to Replace Samsung QE55Q95T

tonyk66

Novice Member
I wonder if anyone has any pointers to a TV as a replacement for a Samsung QE55Q95T. I'm very pleased with it in so many ways and it has many features that I wanted, but has the most annoying judder on some programmes whatever I change setting to. I don't feel I will be able to put up with it.

I have researched and an looking at possibly LG OLED55CX5LB or Sony Bravia KD55A8. I am steering towards the LG, but really don't want further problems. It seems from reviews that in general the SMART features are better on the LG, it has FreeSat (which is useful, but not 100% essential for me) and possibly reviews are marginally better. I am unsure of reviews, as the Samsung did well, but on some programmes is almost unbearable.

Main use would be broadcast TV, Netflix, catch up etc. Not gaming. Any comments greatly appreciated.

Dodgexander

The Sony also has Freesat, they added it in a firmware update to Sony TVs.

If motion is a priority, go with Sony and not LG. There's also the Sony XH9505 if you want an LCD TV like your Samsung.

Broadcast TV seems to have the biggest amount of complaints with Samsung, Panasonic and LG motion, even Sony in the past too. I'm sure this has something to do with the frame rate in the UK being 50 or 25fps rather than 30 or 60 in the USA. Panels always refresh at 60hz and 120hz by default, so they have to be able to tune them down to 100 and 50hz which seems to cause the trouble. Not only this, but I think the source devices have a lot to play in it too. There are more motion complaints when using Sky for example, than the integrated TV tuners.

adnydrum

The Sony also has Freesat, they added it in a firmware update to Sony TVs.

If motion is a priority, go with Sony and not LG. There's also the Sony XH9505 if you want an LCD TV like your Samsung.

Broadcast TV seems to have the biggest amount of complaints with Samsung, Panasonic and LG motion, even Sony in the past too. I'm sure this has something to do with the frame rate in the UK being 50 or 25fps rather than 30 or 60 in the USA. Panels always refresh at 60hz and 120hz by default, so they have to be able to tune them down to 100 and 50hz which seems to cause the trouble. Not only this, but I think the source devices have a lot to play in it too. There are more motion complaints when using Sky for example, than the integrated TV tuners.
Hello Dodge, loving your work as ever. I'm not sure the mains frequency of 50hz is to blame here, as plasma panels don't exhibit anything like judder when playing the same broadcast material. I'd say it's more about Samsungs motion handling. I've installed a lot of different panel types and Samsung lcd were always the worst, certainly up to upper-mid price point.

Dodgexander

Hello Dodge, loving your work as ever. I'm not sure the mains frequency of 50hz is to blame here, as plasma panels don't exhibit anything like judder when playing the same broadcast material. I'd say it's more about Samsungs motion handling. I've installed a lot of different panel types and Samsung lcd were always the worst, certainly up to upper-mid price point.
Mains frequency has nothing to do with it any more. The PAL standard of frame rate being 25 or 50fps was created in the days when it did. Nowadays all models you buy today refresh natively at either 60hz or 120hz. The spec sheets may still say 50/100hz because of the old standard but that isn't their maximum, or default refresh rate.

Technically any TV should be able to adjust and refresh down to 50 or 100 but its this adjustment that seems to be challenging for TVs, with various motion problems now, and previously attributing to only broadcast TV material.

Given the TVs refresh rate should be able to adjust, I think the problem is instead with the detection of the correct frame rate rather than any frame rate adjustment.

Plasma TVs weren't always without their motion problems, Panasonic's infamous 50hz stutter was present with their Plasma TVs of the past and is still there with their TVs today.

None of this seems to be a problem for people who have 30/60fps broadcasts, probably because the native refresh rate of the TV perfectly matches up.

Historically some brands have done motion better than others, Samsung are probably one of the worst generally, with their micro stutter problems and the inability for their 60hz TVs to playback films at the correct frame rate (still a problem today for most of their TVs) but this is more a general motion issue rather than broadcast frame rate.
Even Sony who are usually very good with motion had an unsolvable frame repeat bug with their XE9005 in 2017.

Plasma TVs were just generally better with motion overall because they weren't sample and hold displays. They natively exhibited less stutter. But a constant stutter with sample and hold TVs is to be expected, and doesn't mean the TV has a problem with specific material. Its just native of the type of technology used.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q800A Soundbar & Rotel Michi X3 Reviews + TV show and Movie News & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom