Best tv to prevent burn-in

sahi82

Novice Member
Hey guys. This is my first post on here. I’m looking to buy a new tv. Partly because I want to upgrade to a newer/better tv that’s also bigger in size, but also I want one that’s good for ps5 gaming that has little or no chance of screen burn-in. I think I might’ve found a great tv on the John Lewis site. It’s an LG OLED that’s gotten a lot of praise from critics.

I’m putting the link below if that’s ok.
1633825385846.jpeg

LG OLED65C14LB (2021) OLED HDR 4K Ultra HD Smart TV, 65 inch with Freeview Play/Freesat HD & Dolby Atmos, Black

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
The only screen technology has the potential to suffer burn-in under anything less stressful than always on commercial use is OLED.

mikej

I game on my (2019) OLED occasionally but I'm generally careful with my picture settings, avoid gaming in HDR and accept the risks. If you're a gamer and want to game without any concerns and with little to no chance of 'burn in', then avoiding OLED entirely and going for LCD might be the best option, IMO.

Recent generations of OLEDs have had features added to reduce the risk and the signs are currently looking promising, but it's still too early to properly judge whether they have been successful so the only risk-free option is currently LCD, for normal (non-commercial) use at least.

sahi82

Novice Member
Thanks for the replies guys. I’ve done some more research about the best gaming tv’s & the tv I mentioned above is listed on ‘techrader’. Regarding image retention they said “If you have concerns around image retention, when static sections of a picture (say, a HUD) are looped so often that they permanently mark the panel, we wouldn't worry. This isn't a sizeable risk, especially since OLED TV makers have developed 'screen shift' technologies to regularly adjust the placement of onscreen pictures to help prevent this (via LG)”.

mikej

Thanks for the replies guys. I’ve done some more research about the best gaming tv’s & the tv I mentioned above is listed on ‘techrader’. Regarding image retention they said “If you have concerns around image retention, when static sections of a picture (say, a HUD) are looped so often that they permanently mark the panel, we wouldn't worry. This isn't a sizeable risk, especially since OLED TV makers have developed 'screen shift' technologies to regularly adjust the placement of onscreen pictures to help prevent this (via LG)”.
Reviewers only have the TVs for a relatively short time and 'screen burn' is a long-term issue, so it's important to also take the experience of owners into account and there are many, many threads about 'screen burn' from owners on these forums. Now - a good proportion of these are from owners of older (typically 2016/2017) OLEDs which was before some of these extra features were put in place, but it has taken a number of years for these cases to be seen so it is still fairly early days as far as determining whether the new features added from 2018/2019 onwards have been successful or are simply delaying the inevitable. I actually have a vested interest in a positive outcome from this as an OLED owner (and casual gamer) but only time will tell !

The LG OLEDs are undoubtedly fantastic gaming TVs - it's just important to understand the potential risks of gaming on an OLED display (however small) and decide you're happy to accept them. The majority of OLEDs manufactured at the moment have the same anti-screen burn features in place BTW, so I don't think any one manufacturer will be a better bet than any other.

Incidentally - the screen/pixel-shift function only moves the image a few pixels so it won't necessarily eliminate the problem of uneven pixel wear. The result of this on any graphic wider than a few pixels will simply be to blur any issues and therefore make them a bit less noticeable.

sahi82

Novice Member
Reviewers only have the TVs for a relatively short time and 'screen burn' is a long-term issue, so it's important to also take the experience of owners into account and there are many, many threads about 'screen burn' from owners on these forums. Now - a good proportion of these are from owners of older (typically 2016/2017) OLEDs which was before some of these extra features were put in place, but it has taken a number of years for these cases to be seen so it is still fairly early days as far as determining whether the new features added from 2018/2019 onwards have been successful or are simply delaying the inevitable. I actually have a vested interest in a positive outcome from this as an OLED owner (and casual gamer) but only time will tell !

The LG OLEDs are undoubtedly fantastic gaming TVs - it's just important to understand the potential risks of gaming on an OLED display (however small) and decide you're happy to accept them. The majority of OLEDs manufactured at the moment have the same anti-screen burn features in place BTW, so I don't think any one manufacturer will be a better bet than any other.

Incidentally - the screen/pixel-shift function only moves the image a few pixels so it won't necessarily eliminate the problem of uneven pixel wear. The result of this on any graphic wider than a few pixels will simply be to blur any issues and therefore make them a bit less noticeable.
Thanks mate. After doing more research I’ve decided not to risk getting an OLED. My current shortlist is between these two;

1633891489083.jpeg

Samsung QE65QN95A (2021) Neo QLED HDR 2000 4K Ultra HD Smart TV, 65 inch with TVPlus/Freesat HD, Black

1633891601328.jpeg

LG 65NANO916PA (2021) LED HDR NanoCell 4K Ultra HD Smart TV, 65 inch with Freeview Play/Freesat HD & Dolby Atmos, Dark Meteor Titan

tvdavid

I would go with the N95A

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom