Best TV-Sky-DVDR connection

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by mentsugi, Oct 26, 2004.

1. mentsugi

mentsugi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I have seen a lot of times in this forum section people recommending connecting their SKY box TV (RGB) connection directly to the DVD recorder (E30 in my case) for best RGB signal quality. This sounds good to me also apart from one thing:-

Wont there be a problem if you are recording from terrestrial aerial using the DVD recorder and want to watch Sky? The picture displayed on the TV AV/SCART channel for the DVD recorder will show the aerial signal and not Sky?

Is there a way round this?

If you are going to recommend sending the VCR out signal from the Sky box to the TV also then that will not be RGB and also does not automatically switch the TV to the selected AV/SCART channel?
    :confused:

2. jdarushall

jdarushall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The way most people o it with the Toshiba xs32 is you;

feed the RGB out from Av1 on Sky to Av2 In on Tosh.

Then feed the AV1 out from Tosh to AV rgb in on TV.

You can then press the Sat Mon button to watch Sky regardless of what the recorder is doing. On/off/playing/recording etc

It will only Auto switch when the recorder is switched on if I recall correctly.

3. mentsugi

mentsugi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Thanks, I'll try the setup when I get home and hope it works OK as I would prefer it to have the best picture I can into the DVDR. Also the Sky box I have is an Amstrad (Sky repairer changed my Panny for this unit) and now when I press 'TV' button I lose RGB (on an Amstrad it switches the Sky box to component) causing my DVDR to record a blank screen!

4. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Different satellite boxes seem to behave differently when you press "TV", however all my boxes Sky Panasonic/Pace and Amstrad Sky+ have switched the TV to composite when "TV" is pressed and I suspect all do.

On my Amstrad Sky+ box both component and RGB are maintained and pin 16 (RGB blanking) is changed, this causes the TV to switch into composite mode. My Panny E55 DVDR however does not act on this signal so still records in RGB. I think that some other satellite boxes (including the Pace Sky+) also turn off the RGB which results in the blank screen recording. I'm guessing this because other people have reported blank screens when "TV" is pressed when using this box.

It would seem actually turning off the RGB is dependant on the exact model of satellite box rather than the make.