Quantcast

Best TV Shows of 2019 & Comments

furryhobnob

Distinguished Member
Good list and a couple on there i havnt watched, agree completely with the number 1 spot, chernobyl is easily the best thing I've watched all year, it's harrowing and scary that this happened in most of our lifetime, makes you wonder what else other governments try to cover up?!

jwsg

All from streaming services - not looking so good for the BBC and locally made series, His Dark Materials (HBO?) and Seven Worlds were good too. Also Carnival Row on Prime. Three of them are on NowTV which I think stands up well against Netflix etc for content.

UMAR 3:16

Thanks cas, good call outs

Andrew1472

Distinguished Member
Thanks Cas, tough choices I imagine.
Unbelievable (Netflix) is worth an honourable mention imho.
All three female leads were superb.

Jason56d

Been a good year for TV. Seen all on your list apart from The Expanse, which I hopefully will be watching this week, and For All Mankind, which is on my never ending watch list!

Some old favourites ending (Mr Robot, Veep, Silicon Valley & GOT), and some very good new shows arriving, See, The Morning Show, which both surprised me how good I thought they were, when originally having little interest in them.

But, like you, I thought Chernobyl was exceptionally good.

Panavision

Chernobyl was terrific. I love how the theme is interwoven into each scene - the cost of lies.

Although not on the list, Succession is another awesome show. Another great example of how theme is interwoven into every scene. A truly remarkable series with incredible characters. The writing is out of this world.

Blackbartblues

For me this year it would be The Boys and Stranger Things. Also really enjoyed some of the episodes of Love Death & Robots (particularly the first).

Yet to watch much of The Expanse but need to binge I think. Just started The Witxher and looking forward to The Mandalorian.

Not enough time to watch a lot of these what with a family, work, gym and a slew of gifted games (some from last year still unopened) vying for my time. Nothing to complain about really!

Sandyb01

Succession should be on this list.
Few shows have made a similar impact, once you take a helicopter view.

Of course the header for this article is 10 of the best, not necessarily the 10 best - so wiggle room I guess.

And most year end retrospectives you'll find all include Chernobyl, Succession and Fleabag (not that I'm a big Fleabag advocate).

MAX1210

Not seen many of these - but a great series for me this year was Amazons - The Boys

Diagnosticz

Thanks Cas. I am surprised Netflix's when they see us was not on this list

richp007

Distinguished Member
Great list Cas, a few on there I'm yet to partake in.

Of what I've seen, I'd also have placed Chernobyl and Mr. Robot in the number 1 and 2 slots. Albeit the other way round ;)

It has been one gargantuan year for TV though, and there's certainly more than 10 shows that could have filled that list.

jwsg

I might give Chernobyl a second watch as it's now in HD and 5.1 on NowTV with the £3 pm boost pass

scoc

Don’t think Stranger Things Season 3 should be in this list. Season 1 was good, season 2 more of the same and season 3 even more so. They are dragging that upside down storyline for way too long and the extra 80’s sauce is just too much.

geogan

I have only seen two of those (Love Death & Robots & Chernobyl) - both excellent.

Only saw previous series of Expanse on Netflix and Stranger Things series one & two.

But now since I have no Sky (HBO) and also no Disney or Amazon.... only Netflix left, my choices are limited.

Currently watching all the original Star Trek on Netflix and then Lost in Space series 2 and Witcher maybe.

raduv1

Distinguished Member
Hi @Casimir Harlow , whilst a good list and my timing may be out with the constant flow of great series . Just wondering why The Boys , Titans and indeed Witcher never made it into your ten ?

pressure

Great list. I’d have put the BBC’s giri / haji in there. Spellbinding tv.
Also the amazing Dark on Netflix, terrific highlight of tv this year.
Homecoming earlier this year was great, as was Legion.

Last edited:

scoc

Hi @Casimir Harlow , whilst a good list and my timing may be out with the constant flow of great series . Just wondering why The Boys , Titans and indeed Witcher never made it into your ten ?
Correct, The Boys should be in the list.

raduv1

Distinguished Member
Correct, The Boys should be in the list.
Well it's all down to personal choice end of the day . The no 1 spot I can agree with , no 2 I could never get into . No 3 , whilst a welcome return to form after a lacklustre 2nd series it is but a featured lengh episode , but was so good I can forget that .

The three I mentioned are first seasons and they made such an impact ( for myself ) I do wonder why not included. But as said it's a personall view .

Sandyb01

Great list. I’d have put the BBC’s giri / haji in there. Spellbinding tv.
Also the amazing Dark on Netflix, terrific highlight of tv this year.
Homecoming earlier this year was great, as was Legion.
Just finished Giri/Haji - its decent enough, the relationship between the two brothers is interesting, has some creative flourishes, but was held back by Kelly Macdonald's one note performance and the writing of the British gangster was very sub-Lock Stock.

There were definitely ten better, more impactful shows this year, much as G/H was a pleasant surprise.

MikeTVMikeTV

Agree with Chernobyl but no....Fleabag?

No boys, no umbrella academy?

Stranger things was the weakest season as well.

Watchmen is trash as was the Deadwood movie too little too late.

Cupp

The Boys deserved a place on the list.
I'm still amazed by the general lack of interest in Gods in America. The first season was better, but Gods in America S2 is still brilliant

Robothamster

Distinguished Member
Good list, mine would be more like:

10 - Love, death & robots Russian Doll
9 - Unbelievable
8 - Umbrella Academy
7 - Stranger things s3 (personally I liked more than s2)
6 - Fleabag
5 - Mandalorian
4 - The Boys
3 - Dark (season 2)
2 - The Witcher
1 - Chernobyl

I'm yet to watch any Mr Robot or The Expanse, they seem like shows I'd like so planning on starting them soon.

Edit: forgot about Russian Doll, great show and replaces my no10

Last edited:

Sonic67

Distinguished Member
Another vote for The Boys.

Also I'd add Fleabag, Russian Doll, and Better Call Saul,

Sonic67

Distinguished Member
Chernobyl I think I've watched several times, I watched some documentaries on it and then bought this book, "Midnight In Chernobyl" by Adam Higginbotham.

1577828901814.png

An excellent book on the reactor disaster.

Happy - series 2. Also great.

Coulson

It's really sad what happened to Watchmen. An critically aclaimed (for the right reasons) show not watched due to a genuine fear of wokeness and other factors. Ten years ago, Watchmen might simply have been described as an original story in the Watchmen universe. Now with all the nonsense going on, it has been labeled as woke. It doesn't help that it is really not a show you can just sit down and watch unless you know the universe. I had to do a little reading up to understand some of the key points. You don't actually have to do this. Most of the loose ends are tied up by the series end.

Coulson

Good list, mine would be more like:

10 - Love, death & robots Russian Doll
9 - Unbelievable
8 - Umbrella Academy
7 - Stranger things s3 (personally I liked more than s2)
6 - Fleabag
5 - Mandalorian
4 - The Boys
3 - Dark (season 2)
2 - The Witcher
1 - Chernobyl

I'm yet to watch any Mr Robot or The Expanse, they seem like shows I'd like so planning on starting them soon.

Edit: forgot about Russian Doll, great show and replaces my no10
I haven't seen 10-7. 100% agree with 6-4. I haven't seen the rest.

Sandyb01

It's really sad what happened to Watchmen. An critically aclaimed (for the right reasons) show not watched due to a genuine fear of wokeness and other factors. Ten years ago, Watchmen might simply have been described as an original story in the Watchmen universe. Now with all the nonsense going on, it has been labeled as woke. It doesn't help that it is really not a show you can just sit down and watch unless you know the universe. I had to do a little reading up to understand some of the key points.
I might be missing something, but its been generally highly acclaimed by critics, has met with a better fan reception at the margin than the Zac Snyder film, and will very likely see a second season.

I'm not sure where the issue is. I'm far from absent on social media, but I haven't seen any great back lash against it because of its themes of race. It was, according to the viewing data, HBO's second most watched show since season 1 of Big Little Lies. 7 million HBO views per episode vs the 10 million for season 1 of GoT - I dont think HBO will be upset.

I wouldn't over-project what may be a few vocal voices on social media. I understand what and where people describe as too obviously woke, but that doesn't seem to apply here. Those who may describe it as such dont seem to be manifold, and are seemingly being dismissed as such.

I see no sadness here, its been a strong showing and success for HBO.

Kingchin

My personal top ten shows of 2019 -
10) Stranger Things Season 3
9) The Victim
8) Cobra Kai Season 2
7) Money Heist Season 2 (Spanish series)
6) Bosch Season 5
5) When They See Us
4) Seven Worlds One Planet
3) Unbelievable
2) Undercover Season 1 (Dutch series)
1) Dark Season 2 (German series)

I can't fault Chernobyl's production, scale and performances. But having the actors all British, European speaking English just ruined it, wasn't authentic. They should have used Russian and Ukrainian actors with subtitles.

Last edited: