Best TV (probably OLED, 55” or 65”) - Budget £1500 give or take

McHaggis69

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I originally had in mind to go for a philips as never had ambilight and love it on my son’s TV*

Happy to hear recommendations for Philips on a £1500 roughly budget. I do like OLED.
If there are other brands that might be better then I could consider not bothering with ambilight.

55” but preferably 65”
Must have eARC
HDMI2.1
Decent smart TV OS

Please no Sony - I spent £2600 on my last tV with them and its been a nightmare.

*really fed up with them as a company though. His TV has developed what appears to be a well known fault (massive green bloom in centre of screen). Its 2 years and 4 months old and Philips closed my support ticket within 12 hours saying there was nothing could be done as it was out of warranty. He spent all his savings on £1000 TV and he cant afford to replace it. I thought it was really shoddy of them.

Ok, found a norwegian review site. It reviewed oled705 with other models. I think it's full of sh*t. An oled705 is ranked behind q75a and TCL c815

What do you think?
Sounds strange. Do you have a link or any detail why they rated it so low?

The TVs they are comparing it too are mid range LCD TVs, some people think even the very best LCD TVs can't compete with OLED, so it is especially strange they compare it to mid range TVs.

Sounds strange. Do you have a link or any detail why they rated it so low?

The TVs they are comparing it too are mid range LCD TVs, some people think even the very best LCD TVs can't compete with OLED, so it is especially strange they compare it to mid range TVs.

They also claim it's 900cd/m. 900 nits???!!!

Screenshot_2021-09-12-00-12-27-502_com.android.chrome.jpg

Last edited:
They marked it down for its Android platform, and also because its not as bright as the others. Samsung have a better smart platform, but you are getting a lower tier TV in the Q77A.

Don't see any remarks in the review about HDR, which is the main reason its hard to recommendTVs that aren't top tier now. Simply put, an LCD TV that doesn't reach 1000 nits won't cut it. OLEDs do okay with even 500 though. I can only assume when they test the TVs, they are testing SDR only...which in fairness any cheaper TV can display fine nowadays.

I think they quote the manufacturer spec when they say 900 which is very unrealistic. I'd expect it to get to around 700 max in a small window...and much less full screen.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom