Best TV out of these?

There's a diagram lol the chair at an angle is my concern.
Sit on the sofa then ;)
Could go to John Lewis and stand at the distance you’ll be viewing and at the angle the chair would put you at and see what you think?

Sit on the sofa then ;)
Could go to John Lewis and stand at the distance you’ll be viewing and at the angle the chair would put you at and see what you think?
I don't have one near me :-(

I don't think it'll be too much of an issue at that angle. I'm still fairly close to the TV at that distance.

I plan on mounting it on a table top TV stand that swivels too so I can angle it slightly as and when.

I just don't want to get it and be disappointed compared to my existing 43" LG.

Put off by the 50" now after reading about UHD.

Some channels may look worse on it compared to my 43".

Save up for a better TV :)

If you are going to use that nearest chair you probably will want to get a 49" LG instead of 50" so you get an IPS panel.

Sony TVs in the guide have the best viewing angles though. All depends how important the picture looks good at that nearest chair compared to the one head-on.

The reason specs state different panels on TVs is because the same TV at similar sizes uses different panels. With LG they have 50" models that are using VA panels, and 49" models using IPS.

Luckily this is something I already knew when I made the guide, so I separated them based on their panel type there.

If you are happy with what you're using then going for another LG is going to give you very similar experience, only bigger. If I were you I'd consider saving up though and getting a TV closer to the 1000 mark later down the line, that way you get a nice improvement over what you're using, and a TV that is also capable of reproducing HDR properly.

If you are going to take a hit in lower quality sources looking worse on a larger TV, you are best making sure the TV does other things better than what you're using. Otherwise you get a picture quality downgrade, rather than upgrade.

The value in cheaper TVs now is pretty poor, TVs like the Sony 49XH9505 are where the money is at in terms of value or if you need viewing angles, OLEDs like the LG 48CX.

If you are going to use that nearest chair you probably will want to get a 49" LG instead of 50" so you get an IPS panel.

Sony TVs in the guide have the best viewing angles though. All depends how important the picture looks good at that nearest chair compared to the one head-on.

The reason specs state different panels on TVs is because the same TV at similar sizes uses different panels. With LG they have 50" models that are using VA panels, and 49" models using IPS.

Luckily this is something I already knew when I made the guide, so I separated them based on their panel type there.

If you are happy with what you're using then going for another LG is going to give you very similar experience, only bigger. If I were you I'd consider saving up though and getting a TV closer to the 1000 mark later down the line, that way you get a nice improvement over what you're using, and a TV that is also capable of reproducing HDR properly.

If you are going to take a hit in lower quality sources looking worse on a larger TV, you are best making sure the TV does other things better than what you're using. Otherwise you get a picture quality downgrade, rather than upgrade.

The value in cheaper TVs now is pretty poor, TVs like the Sony 49XH9505 are where the money is at in terms of value or if you need viewing angles, OLEDs like the LG 48CX.
Thanks for the advice. I'd never spend £1k on a TV though!

My current LG is really good and I'm happy with the picture. I just wanted a bigger screen.

I definitely think IPS is what I'd need so looks like a 49" is what I should go for.

I did try a Philips a few years back but the CEC/HDMI ARC was awful with my Sony Soundstage so it went back. I then switched to LG.

The 49" I posted in my original thread is great value, and hits all my needs (3 x HDMI, Arc, Component), but the lack of reviews and 1 year warranty is putting me off. No where apart from Ebuyer sell it which I find really strange.

Did you see the LG listed in my guide under the wide viewing angle section?

The one you linked from ebuyer looks like a Hotel model to me, go for the UN7100, UN7300 or UN7390 instead. As long as its 49 it will be IPS.

Here's a search that shows the others. I'd suggest the UN7300 from Peter Tyson

Did you see the LG listed in my guide under the wide viewing angle section?

The one you linked from ebuyer looks like a Hotel model to me, go for the UN7100, UN7300 or UN7390 instead. As long as its 49 it will be IPS.

Here's a search that shows the others. I'd suggest the UN7300 from Peter Tyson
Thanks so much. I like the look of the UN7300. Meets all my criteria. However I've never heard of Peter Tyson. Are they pretty good?

Amazon have it for the same price but delivery could be anywhere up till next month.

I’d buy from Peter Tyson, a long established U.K. high st retailer over Amazon who aren’t!

I'm going to try and get Hughes to price match
If not, Hughes are on eBay and often have discount promotions, might be worth monitoring for a week or two if not in a rush.
I recently got 15% off a microwave that way.
Or try code SALE25 for £25 off if no price match or other code available

Last edited:
If not, Hughes are on eBay and often have discount promotions, might be worth monitoring for a week or two if not in a rush.
I recently got 15% off a microwave that way.
Or try code SALE25 for £25 off if no price match or other code available
That 25 code didn't work. Only available on certain items.

That 25 code didn't work. Only available on certain items.
Oh ok, give Hughes a call and see what they can offer or if local, pay them a visit :)

whats the hdr like is it a dark image or ok thanks for the reply
I found it a little dark so I have it turned off for now until I can work out how to optimise it. I have no idea how lol

What's the point of it then?
There isn't a point until you get to TVs with good local dimming and high peak brightness. They just make all TVs accept the signal so they can advertise it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom