Best TV out of these?

robloxian

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi, I currently have this TV:

I'm wanting a bigger screen, and my budget is £400ish, but can't decide between these two:

LG 50"

LG 49"

My questions are:

Are these two TV's any kind of visual performance upgrade from what I have now?
Does a G energy rating mean terrible performance, or just uses more power?

IPS or VA?

Thanks.

50 is VA, 49 is IPS

the 50 inch lg

I thought IPS was better than VA?

@tvdavid why the 50" out of the two?
Depends what you mean by better? Blacks and contrast are better on VA. IPS if viewing at an angle.
Have you reviewed the Best Buy guide?

I haven't no.

Why did you suggest the 50?
I didn’t...
Guide is here
No £400 TV is going to be great (certainly not for HDR). What are you using it for? Are you going to be sitting at the same distance or further away for the bigger screen?

I didn’t...
Guide is here
Sorry yes I saw that.

What do you think out of the two?

Sorry yes I saw that.

What do you think out of the two?
I’d get the 50” as it comes from a good retailer with a 5 year warranty. As above, what are you actually watching/using the TV for. Ultimately, I doubt either are much of an upgrade. Just bigger and being bigger, flaws might be more obvious

I’d get the 50” as it comes from a good retailer with a 5 year warranty. As above, what are you actually watching/using the TV for. Ultimately, I doubt either are much of an upgrade. Just bigger and being bigger, flaws might be more obvious
Mainly Sky Q, Blu-ray, and PS4/PS5.

I don't think I'll get much better for my budget.

Do you think there will be visible flaws?

Mainly Sky Q, Blu-ray, and PS4/PS5.

I don't think I'll get much better for my budget.

Do you think there will be visible flaws?
Certainly for HDR, quite probably with motion handling too, possibly screen uniformity.
Cheaper TVs come with compromises (although there’s no perfect Tv at any price really).
Did you read the guide? The 49” doesn’t even make the guide I think.
Does it have to be an LG?

Make your choice based on preferred panel type first, some people still find a need for IPS panels, some people prefer VA. Steps to take before picking out specific models are in the opening post of my guide:

With your budget you can expect similar quality to your current TV, you won't find something a lot better for 400.

Certainly for HDR, quite probably with motion handling too, possibly screen uniformity.
Cheaper TVs come with compromises (although there’s no perfect Tv at any price really).
Did you read the guide? The 49” doesn’t even make the guide I think.
Does it have to be an LG?

It doesn't have to be. I'd go for Samsung or Sony.

Make your choice based on preferred panel type first, some people still find a need for IPS panels, some people prefer VA. Steps to take before picking out specific models are in the opening post of my guide:

With your budget you can expect similar quality to your current TV, you won't find something a lot better for 400.
I'm happy with the quality of my current one.

The 50 I'm interested in I can't seem to see if it's VA or IPS. A few sites say one and the other.

Viewing angles are important for me due to the layout of my room.

I'm happy with the quality of my current one.

The 50 I'm interested in I can't seem to see if it's VA or IPS. A few sites say one and the other.

Viewing angles are important for me due to the layout of my room.
VA which is why it’s under TVs with narrow angles in the guide (low tier). 50s are VA as I mentioned above

What about energy rating? The 50 is G rated. Is it literally that it just uses a bit more electric than normal? Not hundreds though?

What about energy rating? The 50 is G rated. Is it literally that it just uses a bit more electric than normal? Not hundreds though?
Yes, but only in HDR mode. Did you read what it said on the JL site (click on the i for info).
It’ll be a little extra a year possibly maybe depending on your use, but LCD TVs don’t use a lot of electricity. Turn it off when not watching

Yes, but only in HDR mode. Did you read what it said on the JL site (click on the i for info).
It’ll be a little extra a year possibly maybe depending on your use, but LCD TVs don’t use a lot of electricity. Turn it off when not watching
Yeah I did. JL says wide viewing angle?

I thought it was VA? So confused! Will it look awful when viewing it at a slight angle?

Yeah I did. JL says wide viewing angle?

I thought it was VA? So confused! Will it look awful when viewing it at a slight angle?
Not if slight no, I think you’re usually ok up to 30deg

So the 50 is an UHD.

Surely UHD will make HD content look better than my current TV?

My current TV is IPS and as the TV is at a slight angle, things look good.

My concern is that if I get a VA TV, I might be disappointed when sat at an angle watching it.

Some more reading...

My current TV is IPS and as the TV is at a slight angle, things look good.

My concern is that if I get a VA TV, I might be disappointed when sat at an angle watching it.
How slight an angle. I have a VA TV. I can stand to the side and it’s still watchable. Not ideal but not that awful!

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 37

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom