Question Best Tv from a limited range

leeb-1977

OK, so the great news is I've won 75" Samsung TV for under £3 on a comp site.

Issue is - its not a great one.

I've won a 75" Samsung TU7100K. Don't get me wrong... for what I've paid its amazing, but I've already got a curved 65" Samsung Mu9000 which I suspect will knock the new one into next week in terms of picture quality.

The set is coming from Welcome to Crampton & Moore

I've contacted them and asked of i can pay for an upgrade. Of which they've confirmed i can.

So - heres the dilemma. I love the idea of a 75". I don't need one, but bigger is always better right?!

Weve just moved into a new house which means the TV now has to sit in the corner of the room. This is already causing problems with the TV unit as its made to be flat against the wall and if I angle it I partially block patio doors. So I was already in the process of finding a new stand. So something I can swivel would be nice... but isn't a deal breaker. Wide viewing angle would also be helpful.

Budget is upto 2k (ish) - inclusive of the 899 already accounted for on the 7100 set I've won.

It has to be an upgrade on the mu9000, so its eithier a better LCD at 65 /75 - or an oled... which for my money will be a lower end oled... again at a min of 65".

Used for gaming (PS4 and Xbox one X at the minute but plan to upgrade both to PS5 and series X), lots of streaming inclusive of catchup and rakuten and general TV ranging from SD to UHD via Sky Q.

Don't currently have a separate sound system so sound is also important - although if enough money is left over i may be able to grab a soundbar.

Given the fact that I'm.looking for an upgrade on what I already have (which I'm happy with when viewed straight on, but does suffer with horrendous back light bleed and a non uniform panel) ‐ can anyone make a recommendation?

Last edited:

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
OK, so the great news is I've won 75" Samsung TV for under £3 on a comp site.

Issue is - its not a great one.

I've won a 75" Samsung TU7100K. Don't get me wrong... for what I've paid its amazing, but I've already got a curved 65" Samsung Mu9000 which I suspect will knock the new one into next week in terms of picture quality.

The set is coming from Welcome to Crampton & Moore

I've contacted them and asked of i can pay for an upgrade. Of which they've confirmed i can.

So - heres the dilemma. I love the idea of a 75". I don't need one, but bigger is always better right?!

Weve just moved into a new house which means the TV now has to sit in the corner of the room. This is already causing problems with the TV unit as its made to be flat against the wall and if I angle it I partially block patio doors. So I was already in the process of finding a new stand. So something I can swivel would be nice... but isn't a deal breaker. Wide viewing angle would also be helpful.

Budget is upto 2k (ish) - inclusive of the 899 already accounted for on the 7100 set I've won.

It has to be an upgrade on the mu9000, so its eithier a better LCD at 65 /75 - or an oled... which for my money will be a lower end oled... again at a min of 65".

Used for gaming (PS4 and Xbox one X at the minute but plan to upgrade both to PS5 and series X), lots of streaming inclusive of catchup and rakuten and general TV ranging from SD to UHD via Sky Q.

Don't currently have a separate sound system so sound is also important - although if enough money is left over i may be able to grab a soundbar.

Given the fact that I'm.looking for an upgrade on what I already have (which I'm happy with when viewed straight on, but does suffer with horrendous back light bleed and a non uniform panel) ‐ can anyone make a recommendation?

Congrats on the prize win! Unfortunately you wont be able to get everything you want in budget, especially at the 75" range. If you look at the 65" end then £2000 should definitely get you something much better like the Q90T. The Sony XH9505 is a much better price and an equal if not better set but doesn't have hdmi 2.1. OLED wise you're limited to one of last years models if you can still get one or maybe an LG. Personally I would avoid OLED if you game.

leeb-1977

Cheers for the reply, its between the LG 65CX5LB Oled and the Q90T at the minute.

I think I've ruled out the 75" sets.

Out if interest why would you rule out the Oled for a gamer? I'm more of a casual gamer these days in terms of gaming time. Is it simply due to screen burn?

Dodgexander

The Sony XH9505 is a much better price and an equal if not better set but doesn't have hdmi 2.1
In fairness you would say that when you own the XH9505 though wouldn't you ;)

@leeb-1977 if you want a degree of future proofing with the TV then you need to target a certain baseline of specs for HDR use. This includes around 1000 nits peak brightness (1500 being more ideal) and good local dimming from an LCD TV.

Given the current overpriced market I'd personally sell the TV you receive as brand new in the box, and invest that money into a TV later down the line when you can get more for your money. TV's like the 75" Q80T or Q85T. Maybe even the Q90T/XH9505 shouldn't be out of reach if you buy at a better time.

As for OLEDs, nothing wrong with considering one as long as you don't use a lot of repetitive static images, there's no reason not to consider one if you game, only if you play games repeatedly with static images. More on that with the following link but it took them almost 2 years to see permanent burn on the rtings.com OLED test and that was playing FIFA 18 for 8h each day. The Call of Duty TV is still going today without any burn in because COD doesn't have as many static elements as FIFA.

In short OLED is fine for gaming, and actually preferable in my opinion, just be aware that you static images do up your risk, so if you are one to play the same game over and over for a long time, or you play a lot of games with static images like FIFA or Football manager for example, you may consider going LCD instead.

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
In fairness you would say that when you own the XH9505 though wouldn't you ;)

@leeb-1977 if you want a degree of future proofing with the TV then you need to target a certain baseline of specs for HDR use. This includes around 1000 nits peak brightness (1500 being more ideal) and good local dimming from an LCD TV.

Given the current overpriced market I'd personally sell the TV you receive as brand new in the box, and invest that money into a TV later down the line when you can get more for your money. TV's like the 75" Q80T or Q85T. Maybe even the Q90T/XH9505 shouldn't be out of reach if you buy at a better time.

As for OLEDs, nothing wrong with considering one as long as you don't use a lot of repetitive static images, there's no reason not to consider one if you game, only if you play games repeatedly with static images. More on that with the following link but it took them almost 2 years to see permanent burn on the rtings.com OLED test and that was playing FIFA 18 for 8h each day. The Call of Duty TV is still going today without any burn in because COD doesn't have as many static elements as FIFA.

In short OLED is fine for gaming, and actually preferable in my opinion, just be aware that you static images do up your risk, so if you are one to play the same game over and over for a long time, or you play a lot of games with static images like FIFA or Football manager for example, you may consider going LCD instead.

You can't ignore the price difference between the Sony and Samsung 65"'s, and apart from the 2.1 there isn't much in it. In fact quite a few unhappy Samsung owners on the threads regarding issue with their anti glare screens. I'd go for the Sony or LG myself.

Dodgexander

You can't ignore the price difference between the Sony and Samsung 65"'s, and apart from the 2.1 there isn't much in it. In fact quite a few unhappy Samsung owners on the threads regarding issue with their anti glare screens. I'd go for the Sony or LG myself.
I know there's not much in it. But I'm just saying, if you own the TV of course you are going to think its better.

I think both have there strengths and weaknesses. Complaints are relative to how many units are sold and don't necessarily equate to more issues though. Samsung sell a lot more TVs than Sony. Last I checked between 2-3x more.

But I'm not knocking your decision, its all about opinions. Just saying that is why you think so highly of the TV.

Prices will change, this years Q90T is more like last years Q85R. Samsung are only keeping prices high at the moment so can make an upcoming cashback deal seem better, and after that, the black friday discounts will look even better.

leeb-1977

Cheers both.

To be fair - game time is less than 20 hours per month. Were mainly watching for netflix, streaming and UHD blurays these days.

Couldn't be bothered with the hassle of reselling, although its a great shout.

Decided to opt for the cx65 oled. 👍

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
I know there's not much in it. But I'm just saying, if you own the TV of course you are going to think its better.

I think both have there strengths and weaknesses. Complaints are relative to how many units are sold and don't necessarily equate to more issues though. Samsung sell a lot more TVs than Sony. Last I checked between 2-3x more.

But I'm not knocking your decision, its all about opinions. Just saying that is why you think so highly of the TV.

Prices will change, this years Q90T is more like last years Q85R. Samsung are only keeping prices high at the moment so can make an upcoming cashback deal seem better, and after that, the black friday discounts will look even better.

Definitely agree about opinions, although I did look at the Samsung's in great detail before deciding on the Sony, had I thought it better or 2.1 was an absolute must for me I would have waited for it to drop in price. That's the great thing about televisions, we all have our own likes and dislikes. Although the issue with their anti glare screens, firmware, stutter problems are all serious issues, regardless of units sold.

Last edited:

Dodgexander

Definitely agree about opinions, although I did look at the Samsung's in great detail before deciding on the Sony, had I thought it better or 2.1 was an absolute must for me I would have waited for it to drop in price. That's the great thing about televisions, we all have our own likes and dislikes. Although the issue with their anti glare screens, firmware, stutter problems are all serious issues, regardless of units sold.
Exactly, and please don't get me wrong. I enjoy your contributions here on the forum. You speak sense more than a lot of people do.

I think Samsung's marketing tactics are a reason alone not to buy a Samsung TV. Despicable marketing tactics. Sony are much fairer in this regard, and I appreciate that.

I think there's definitely a sense in price owning a Japanese brand like Sony/Panasonic still, and there TVs do still do things better.

The problem is we already live in a world full of Chinese imports operating on slim margins. Its much harder to compete with the likes of Hisense and TCL when you're a small Japanese company compared to a giant Korean manufacturer.

I think Samsung compete a lot better overall (for most people) but they have the finances to do so.

But I try to be as impartial as I can. Recommending a TV to others isn't about which model I'd choose myself, but about the bigger picture of what other people value.

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom