1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best tv for watching football??

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Markybhoy, Jan 11, 2004.

1. Markybhoy

Markybhoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As stated above, I have just got myself a sony kv32fx68 tv100 hz.

Have to say that I am abit disappointed in the picture quality when watching live football on sky.

Piture is quite grainy and when you go to a wide shoot the picture goes a wee bit out of focus and this can make it hard to make out the players.

Is it worth taking the tv back and going for a 50 hz tv or a digital tv? I am not too technical minded so I am not to sure what the difference in quality would be if any.

I run the picture straight from the digibox straight into the back of the tv using the round connector (not sure what the technical name is called), is it worth buying a good quality scart cable to see if this helps improve the picture?

Cheers

2. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,264
    You have two real problems:

The low bitrate that Sky use can give MPEG arefacts on anything with fast moving picture content. Unless you can pursuade Mr Murdoch to put picture quality ahead of profit (which is unlikely), you can't do much about this.

Virtually all 100Hz TVs have problems with fast moving picture content. This usually shows as smearing on fast moving pictures and pixelisation, among other things. Some people are sensitive to this, some don't notice it. When you use a 100Hz TV with Sky, it tries to process the MPEG artefacts as picture content, which makes things even worse.

Since you can't do much about the first problem, you can try switching off all of the digital trickery to help with the second. If this doesn't work, try a 50Hz set.

3. Markybhoy

Markybhoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers GaryB for the prompt reply, i have just upgraded from a 28 inch 50hz tv and the picture quality on that was better than my new tv.

Any suggestions as dixons over a 14 day no quibble return, got about £800 to spend.

Cheers

4. Frankie_D

Frankie_D
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi sorry to barge in but to answer your question a good tv with 50hz and freeview would be the sony dx50 priced at £655 at unbeatable i think.
    Hope that helps
    Frank

5. Markybhoy

Markybhoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Frankie D, will have a wee look on the board to see what reviews this has got.

6. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,264
    I would suggest the JVC AV-32R25. Good 32" set and a bit cheaper than the Sony. Probably best to compare the two.

7. arthurwatt

arthurwatt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Markybhoy

I have a Panasonic 32PD30 which has a 75Hz and 100Hz scanning modes. I tend to watch everything in 75Hz mode, but even then there are problems with the football.

With Sky Sports Premiership coverage it is sometimes difficult to identify players during normal play (non close ups), the players strip colours seem to flouresce. I have tried reducing the contrast and the brightness and it does help, but the overall picture can become over dark. The same type of thing happens with the ITV permiership coverage. Some of the Spanish football must have an even lower quality signal because it has much more artefacts and I find it hard to watch.

I guess it is just a case of tweeking the settings until you find one which you can live with.

Cheers

8. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    Am I right in thinking that you have Sky Digital and you're using a composite feed to the TV (you said a round cable)?

That's not going to help the TV at all - get a decent £20+ SCART lead and set the digibox to output RGB. The FX68 has 2 RGB capable SCART's so you should make use of them.

9. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    Not necessarily true - it could be that the FX68 is less forgiving of a poor source.

When I changed my 28" FX60 to my 32" FQ70 I thought the older set had a better picture initially. After a couple of days setting it up properly the 32" now beats it hands down.

10. Markybhoy

Markybhoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Radiohead

I have cable telewest and I get sky sports through this.

I did try the scart as well but I had it set up through my video so that I could tape cable as well.

I have a poor quality scart cable so I am considering investing in a good quality scart to see if this helps me out.

arthurwatt

I also agree that spanish football is very poor quality as well maybe I was just expecting to much from the tv but i'll hold off and hope that the picture improves or I can find a setting that I am happy with.

Cheers