Best TV for sports - advice appreciated

Gashead69

Standard Member
Hello all
As the title says I’m after some advice please.

In the past week our current Samsung EU48H6400 has developed a dark line running top to bottom about 1 inch wide and about 2 inches in from the edge. At present this isn’t causing too much of a problem but know we will eventually have to replace it.

Having no intention of replacing the TV until this problem occurred and having had the TV for about 6 years the technology has advanced and having looked online these past few days I’ve reached the conclusion I need all the help I can get.

Our main viewing is sports (football & cricket) via Sky HD box (not Q will upgrade at some point), Sky Sports News, documentaries, a couple of soaps,local news and some streaming via Nvidia Shield. No gaming.

Due to the position of the TV 50 inches is the maximum size so looking at 48” 49” or 50” sets. The room is fairly bright and has sun from 4pm onwards. The TV is connected to a Denon X2200W with a Blu-ray player/recorder and Nvidia Shield connected to the Denon.

Budget is around £1000 but would be willing to go over slightly if needed. Would like to future proof as much as possible as only buy a new TV when needed.

Thanks for taking the time to read and as previously said any advice and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

pastrybloke19

If you can get to 55”, that will open up a lot more options and better value TVs: worth double checking the measurement just to be sure.

If 55” isn’t an option, then 48” OLED would be what I would look into.

This guide is a good place to start:

OLED is generally viewed as better, but has burn in risk: high end LED (VA type) can also be very good as well. OLED vs LED is a very common question/discussion, so worth reading up a on here from other threads to help guide you to what you need.

Prices for 2021 TVs tend to be the best around jan-March, possible into April+ depending on stock levels; so good time to work out your shortlist, and be ready to pounce.

Cheers

Gashead69

Standard Member
If you can get to 55”, that will open up a lot more options and better value TVs: worth double checking the measurement just to be sure.

If 55” isn’t an option, then 48” OLED would be what I would look into.

This guide is a good place to start:

OLED is generally viewed as better, but has burn in risk: high end LED (VA type) can also be very good as well. OLED vs LED is a very common question/discussion, so worth reading up a on here from other threads to help guide you to what you need.

Prices for 2021 TVs tend to be the best around jan-March, possible into April+ depending on stock levels; so good time to work out your shortlist, and be ready to pounce.

Cheers
Thank you for taking the time to reply. Once all Christmas decorations are taken down I’ll check and see if there is anyway a 55” will fit, if it’s going to give me better value and a wider choice.

Gashead69

Standard Member
Well the Christmas decorations are down and unfortunately after measuring again the maximum size is 50”. After more reading I’m not sure if OLED is the way to go with the majority of viewing being either sports or sky sports news I’m worried over burn in due to the logos and scores being constantly on screen. Also there are channel logos on all the discovery channels which are also watched.

This leaves me with QLED or LED unless I buy the protected warranty from JL which would cover burn in on an OLED

Reading Dodgexanders reviews and other threads I’ve narrowed it down to
LGC1
Sony 49XH9505
Samsung Q80A or maybe at a push QN94A

Which of the above would be the best for watching sports or are there better alternatives. I’m in no rush unless the existing TV deteriorates more so hoping there could be some price decreases in the coming months.

pastrybloke19

Well the Christmas decorations are down and unfortunately after measuring again the maximum size is 50”. After more reading I’m not sure if OLED is the way to go with the majority of viewing being either sports or sky sports news I’m worried over burn in due to the logos and scores being constantly on screen. Also there are channel logos on all the discovery channels which are also watched.

This leaves me with QLED or LED unless I buy the protected warranty from JL which would cover burn in on an OLED

Reading Dodgexanders reviews and other threads I’ve narrowed it down to
LGC1
Sony 49XH9505
Samsung Q80A or maybe at a push QN94A

Which of the above would be the best for watching sports or are there better alternatives. I’m in no rush unless the existing TV deteriorates more so hoping there could be some price decreases in the coming months.
I know it sounds like a silly question, but did you measure across 50”?

55” tv can be around H70.9 x W122.3cms; long shot, but just in case.

Cheers

Dodgexander

I'd go OLED with the insurance if I were you, especially since you can afford the C1.
LCD TVs at the same size isn't as good, and the ones you'll often see compared like Samsung's 50" QN90A/QN94A are not the same TVs at 50" compared to 55" with peak brightness.

Also, good advice from @pastrybloke19 you probably already know but 50"/55" is the diagonal and hard to measure. Always make sure to measure with the width and height measurements instead if you didn't already!

Gashead69

Standard Member
Thanks both for your replies.

Yes I measured the width and height of a 55” TV using online specs.

The biggest problem is the TV is in a corner and to go wider will encroach over the window. Also a wider cabinet will not fit so a new TV would have to have a stand that would fit on the existing cabinet.

I’m trying to think of ways a 55” would fit, if I did would you still recommend the C1 or would there be others more suited to our use.

Thanks again for your help.

pastrybloke19

Thanks both for your replies.

Yes I measured the width and height of a 55” TV using online specs.

The biggest problem is the TV is in a corner and to go wider will encroach over the window. Also a wider cabinet will not fit so a new TV would have to have a stand that would fit on the existing cabinet.

I’m trying to think of ways a 55” would fit, if I did would you still recommend the C1 or would there be others more suited to our use.

Shame, it was a long shot but few people do take the wrong measurements.

When I installed my tv, I didn’t have the width space for a 55” in the corner where it had to go: it would also encroached the curtains. Tvs below 55” are bad value/much less options, so I bought a tilt/swivel bracket, that allowed the tv to be tilted toward us when watching, and easily moved out of the way when needed.

Might be an option for you.

Gashead69

Standard Member
Shame, it was a long shot but few people do take the wrong measurements.

When I installed my tv, I didn’t have the width space for a 55” in the corner where it had to go: it would also encroached the curtains. Tvs below 55” are bad value/much less options, so I bought a tilt/swivel bracket, that allowed the tv to be tilted toward us when watching, and easily moved out of the way when needed.

Might be an option for you.
I’m sure there must be some way around it I’ll look into a bracket.

As you say there are much better value TVs at 55” and also more choice would you say the C1 would still be the best option or should I consider others.

pastrybloke19

I’m sure there must be some way around it I’ll look into a bracket.

As you say there are much better value TVs at 55” and also more choice would you say the C1 would still be the best option or should I consider others.

worth deciding between OLED or LCD first: then use @Dodgexander guide to create your shortlist (if OLED, then yes C1 is a good option).

No probs, happy to help.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom