Best TV for Playstation 2 (Especially PE5)

Y

Yetti54

Hi all,

I've been looking at a couple of different types of tv's (LCD, rear projection, Crt) and wanted to know what would be the best for a playstaion 2, with pro evo 5 being played an awfull lot. :D

Anyone got a good setup at the mo they would like to share with me?

Well that depends are u using this tv as a main set? or just for the PS2? A decent CRT will do a good job if you get some decent leads for the ps2. but then it wont be much use when the ps3 and xbox 360 come out but by that time everythng will be hidef you could buy a plasma or lcd cheap by that time.

Cheers for the reply.

I'll be using this as my main set for tv and moovies.

I'm starting to lean towards an LCD tv that'll work for HD and the Playstation 3.
The Samsung LE32R41BD looks good for the money.
Will it be alright for the playstation 2 though?
And quick motion like footy games on tv???

I've got the 26" version of that tv connected via the official sony component leads and pes5 looks ok with no ghosting but games that support 480p look stunning.

Sounds good. Cheers for that.

Looks like i'll get the samsung and the IXOS playstation 2 cable, see if thats any good.

480p? Is that the number of lines across the screen or something?

Ok. Still don't really get the 480p ting!

Are there settings on my playstation 2 i should change when hooking it up to the lcd.
I heard that the picture isn't great but are there ways of improving it?

Anyone actually played Pro Evo 5 on an LCD?

I've just been speaking to a mate of mine who has just brought the Sammy LE32R41 & has just hooked his PS2 up to the panel via the IXOS component cable and he reckons PES5 looks complete rubbish. He describes the PQ as some sort of a 'mesh' overlayed over the output. He has also tried TOCA 2 - which is also pants. However, Burnout 3 is quite stunning. He has changed his console to 'component out' in the system setup - but has not setup anything on the panel.

Has anyone else got this setup (panel/lead/PS2) and have you managed to get PES5 looking half decent?

I recently purchased a Samsung LE26R41BD ready for the release of the 360 and can tell you that PES5 looks pretty crap on it! Everything is configured correctly and I'm using a component cable. However, I have the Japanese version of GT4 and the game looks awesome in 480p and 1080i mode. Similarly, Burnout Revenge looks pretty tasty.

HD Ready LCD TVs are the ones to go for if you plan to purchase a 360 or PS3. However, for standard PS2 games without a progressive scan mode, you're better off using a CRT with component inputs, though you will regret buying a non-HD TV in the near future...

Also, gizlaroc mentioned in another thread that the IXOS component lead had banding at progressive resolutions, stick with the official one, its cheaper too :)

Can be bought from the playstation shop or I imagine any curry's etc.

Question???

How do you know if you are running in progressive scan mode??? :lesson:

Only a select few games support it, and they have to be set to progressive in the games options. As far as I know, no PAL games support it unfortunately, although I'm not 100% sure on that. Some NTSC games that support it, Gran Turismo (which supports 720p aswell, not sure what it looks like though) God of War, Shadow of the Colossus etc

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom