best tv for me

compostcorner62

Standard Member
Reaction score
so my question is whats the best tv for me, i dont think oled will work for me as our family has the tele on for 16 hours a day, and my missus has been known to fall a sleep watching sky news and its left on all night, and when theres a cricket test match on thats on continuously all day, i"m not a big fan of samsung, so i am left with LG which is our current tv, and we quite like the nanocell, its been no trouble at all, or Sony. so i would like a 2022 tele, and i"ve whittled it down to either LG QNED866, or the Sony X90K, both in 55inches. so any advice out there......thanks.

Which is more important, viewing angles or picture quality in front?
What size are you shopping for?

LG's are looked down on as bad LCD TVs compared to the competition. I rarely recommend them.

I'd stay clear of newly released models like the Sony X90K and instead look at last years lineups like the X90J instead so you don't overpay.

Without any extra detail I'd hazard a guess the Sony X95J would be good for you, it has improved viewing angles compared to their lower end TVs, better HDR picture quality and its a 2021 model so it's cheaper than the X90K. Doesn't seem to be available less than 65" anymore though.

To put it into perspective, you can get a 75" X95J refurb for less than the 55" X90K is selling for currently. That's how overpriced newly released TV's are so close to launch.

With limited availability of last years stock, and with size/retailer constraints now just may not be a good idea to change TVs.

All best buys are here: NEW: My best value TVs, 2021-2022 Edition

It doesn't include the new 2022-23 ranges yet as they are all too expensive.

thanks for the reply, picture quality is the most important, viewing angles are not a problem as we all sit in front of the tele, my reasoning on the LG qned86 is that it is a mini led, so in theory should be an excellent picture, and we have never had any trouble with any of our LG nanocell tvs. the sony is full array led, and again should be an excellent picture, it has to be 55inches, anything else is to big for our room, and all our tele is viewed from sky Q.

LG just don't make decent LCD panels, they're all IPS and as such have poor contrast and murky blacks.

The only reason to recommend them is for viewing angles, but if you're sitting head-on or close to it you'd be far better off with a Full Array VA panel from the likes of Sony, Samsung etc.

The type of backlighting come's secondary to the type of panel. Aside from reduced contrast from their IPS panels they also have issues controlling light output which is a major problem with HDR.

Today aside from OLED, Samsung are making the best LCD TVs. Sony aren't too bad either. You're actually better off with the Sony X90J than going for an LG.

If you can wait for the winter sales (Black Friday or later), see how the newer Sony's rank when the prices come down. The new X95K could be an improvement on the X95J and it will be using a VA type panel rather than IPS.

If you have to buy now then you may have to work hard to find a 2021 Sony.

Try not to get persuaded by all the buzzwords manufacturers like to you to believe. MiniLED actually has very little consequence to picture quality compared to other factors. What matters with LCD TVs is how many zones the TV has, how well it controls the zones and how much light it can harness behind the TV whilst retaining good blacks.

There are TVs sold 6 years ago without MiniLED tech that outperform MiniLED TVs today just because they have higher zone counts.

A second hand Panasonic DX902 or Sony ZD9 from 2016 are arguably better even than the Sony's I've mentioned already.

From article below for your narrow angle viewing, "Our long experience of testing VA and IPS TVs, though, has led us to conclude that in general, the sort of person most likely to be turning to us for buying advice will be happier with an LCD TV based on VA technology."

From article below for your narrow angle viewing, "Our long experience of testing VA and IPS TVs, though, has led us to conclude that in general, the sort of person most likely to be turning to us for buying advice will be happier with an LCD TV based on VA technology."

Like compostcorner62 I have owned IPS TVs that I have thought were great TVs. My current LG GRAM laptop has a IPS screen that I watch TV on and it looks great. There are a lot of people that have similar views to ours. If you go look at the user reviews at Currys, COSTCO,, ect. for IPS panel TVs you will see some of these TVs score a lot higher from actual owners than they do by AVForums Experts.

With that being said a VA panel will be noticeably better for compostcorner62 viewing conditions. If your viewing angle is less than 20 degrees don't consider a IPS TV. IF your viewing angle exceeds 30 degrees an IPS panel will be your best bet if you have a limited budget. If you have deep pockets buy an OLED (you just don't hear of burn on newer OLEDs for any conditions, extreme or not). You should be able to get 100,000 hours out of your OLED. If you leave your OLED on for 24 hours a day that is over 11 years.

When you buy your new TV tell us what you think

Important to note when you are searching online about IPS tech you'll often find results catered for computer monitors.
In the computer monitor world IPS is still preferred by many because of its better viewing angles and response times compared to VA type panels.

With TVs, and especially now with HDR IPS tech is just becoming next to redundant as displays need to push out more and more brightness. There has yet to date been no capable HDR IPS displays. Ones that try have terrible light control.

For SDR viewing in your average living room, then you don't really need to think too much about panel types. Any TV will be fine. It's really HDR that makes the difference nowadays.

all interesting comments, i am not a tv geek, so VA and IPS panels dont mean anything to me, if a tele looks good it looks good, i can only go by what i see in my local currys, john lewis and richer sounds, i did get a bit of advice from my younger bruver, he said listen to the tv geeks and nerds on AV forums, they know what their talking about, even if it is all gobbledegook to you.

IPS TVs have poor contrast and black levels.

The end result of that is scenes that are supposed to be dark or black look murky, foggy dark grey. This then has an impact on your colours as the black isn't black enough so it washes out the brightness. Any vivid colours don't look properly vivid as the contrast is poor.

Basically, avoid an IPS panel unless you need it and you don't.

Also, looking at TVs in shops doesn't really help much as they usually have overhead fluorescent lights and the TVs are setup poorly, often on "Vivid mode" which isn't a good setting with a selection of sources that can again, be average or variable. You really need to see TVs side by side with an identical, high quality source, but this is near impossible in Currys, John Lewis etc.

There's always an argument that to a layman that much of what discussed has little value here.
My counter argument is that people wouldn't post here if they didn't consider themselves or wanted to become an enthusiast.
The second argument I have is one I've mentioned already; HDR.

It really is a game changer in the industry. If you are wanting to use the TV for streaming from the likes of Netflix, Amazon or even watching special events on BBC iPlayer you are going to want a TV capable of a good HDR picture.

Good advice as usual from Bob, never judge what you see in the shop.

If I were you, I'd bite the bullet and go for the Samsung QN94A and put aside any brand bias.

AVForums is not for the frugal or budget conscious if your viewing angle exceeds 30 degrees. If your viewing angle is greater than 30 degrees we recommend you buy the OLED TVS or the Premium VA televisions with the ultra viewing angle filter. These are the best TVs available today that come at a premium price.

If your viewing angle is less than 20 degrees buy any VA panel TV with a HDR value of greater than 8.0 on rtings.com or buy an OLED TV.
Some VA panel TVs are good to 30 degrees before the picture degrades significantly.

Last edited:
i went for the Sony X90J 55 inch version, so far so good, i"ll take a look on you tube to see some settings, but its just fine out of the box, i"ve got it linked to a Sky Q box and a Yamaha sound bar, so at the moment its in custom mode, and all i have done is turn off power saving, and disabled the light sensor.

i went for the Sony X90J 55 inch version, so far so good, i"ll take a look on you tube to see some settings, but its just fine out of the box, i"ve got it linked to a Sky Q box and a Yamaha sound bar, so at the moment its in custom mode, and all i have done is turn off power saving, and disabled the light sensor.
Good choice. The Sony brand is the most reliable TV brand and since you have a narrow viewing angle the X90J is hard to beat. Only a computer or a TV enthusiast could find something wrong with this TV. It is time to just enjoy.

The personal satisfaction of Sony TVs, Samsung, and LG is also considerably higher than other brands; TCL, VISIO, HISENSE.

Like you I find the professional TV calibrator's that work for Sony better than the professional calibrator's like Phil, rtings.com, etc. I like you stick with the factory defaults. Calibration is all based on personal tastes and that is why my TV has many different professionally calibrated defaults to pick from.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom