Best TV for mainly SD use (2019)

gunjin

I know this has been asked repeatedly over the years but since it is becoming increasingly difficult to find non 4K TVs I was wondering whether anyone could provide recommendations for a 43 in TV that will be mostly used for SD (Virgin Media cable) TV watching. The 10 year old LG LCD it will replace (which went bang and emitted a load of smoke when it died at the weekend) was FHD and SD content looked OK. I assume it will look much worse on a 4K screen. I'm ideally looking at the £300 level where there appears to be a load of competition. Thanks!

zeppelino

Distinguished Member
Sony do a 43” fhd tv. John Lewis have it in stock at £379, but given your uses it’s the best option.

gunjin

After a bit more research, there are so many TVs at RS, Curry's etc at £299 or less I'm going to stick to selecting from the FHD (or 4K) screens at this price.

psychopomp1

OP,
Are you willing to buy a second hand TV? if so, seriously consider the 42" Pioneer Kuro 428/4280XD Plasma, IMHO the best 42" tv ever for SD content. They're being sold for 200-300 notes on ebay.

I have a 10+ year old Pioneer 428XD which is our main TV and recently bought a brand new super duper 4K, Ultra HD, HDR Sony 43" XF8096. The Sony is amazing for viewing 4K video and 4K gaming but the 10 year old Pioneer Kuro pee's all over the Sony for SD viewing - the picture is just sooooo natural on the Pioneer. Such a shame that Pioneer stopped making plasma's TV.

gunjin

Surprisingly hard to find FHD TVs to view in-store and there appears to be a premium price for them online too! My local RS suggested to me that the 4k TVs of the last few years are actually perfectly decent for SD content these days, unlike the first few gens and on a par with current FHD TVs.

Analysis

Banned
42" Pioneer Kuro 428/4280XD Plasma, IMHO the best 42" tv ever for SD content. They're being sold for 200-300 notes on ebay.

I agree they are the best for SD and HD content for Picture Quality, also add the VT60 but it's getting harder and harder to get a good example that won't breakdown after you just get it.

It's pretty expensive for repairs nowadays as parts are scarce now they don't make them anymore.

If the OP is interested in a Plasma then definitely go in person with someone who knows the tech involved to view before committing to a purchase, don't buy blind and this goes for any second hand model from places such as eBay, Freeads etc.

If I remember correctly @Dodgexander only paid £50 for his Plasma.

gunjin

Sorry, not going to risk 2nd hand however good the model being sold was in its day. Simply not knowledgeable or confident enough in the tech.

gunjin

@Dodgexander What's wrong with a Tosh and what makes an identically priced Hisense better?
Looking at
Hisense 43A6200 vs Toshiba 43U6863

Last edited:

Dodgexander

They don't make their own TVs anymore and instead outsource production to Vestel in Turkey. Not good.

Although hopefully with Hisense buying the Toshiba name that will change soon.

more info on what to expect from the Vestel rebadges like Toshiba, sharp etc here: Are some Vestel rebadged TV brands better ranges than others?

The Hisense A series is a very recommended TV, scores well in reviews, true bet at getting a VA type panel and priced better than the competition.

gunjin

Bought the Hisense and glad I did; there is no degradation in quality viewing SD content on this 4K screen vs FD and in fact it is probably a little better than on the previous LG FD screen. It's a pretty low bar mind you...

Dodgexander

Bought the Hisense and glad I did; there is no degradation in quality viewing SD content on this 4K screen vs FD and in fact it is probably a little better than on the previous LG FD screen. It's a pretty low bar mind you...
Glad you are happy with the TV!

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom