Question Best TV For Gaming / Movies / TV

Jestahr

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Coming as a heavy PC user I have a real sensitivity to low refresh rates or "judder" "stutter" or a generally non smooth motion. I tend to use 144hz monitors for this reason.

I find console gaming to suffer with either input lag or horrible motion/refresh rate. Now that consoles can pump out 60fps in some titles I'm ready to dip my toes back in.

I can't really understand the refresh rates as most claim outlandish numbers that are obviously published with the caveat of some additional processing or trickery that comes at a cost presumably.

Anyway to the point, my requirements:

1. 60 - 65 inch size / 4K UHD HDR
  2. £1200 Budget
  3. The equivalent to a 120HZ PC monitor refresh rate in
  4. The equivalent to a 1ms gaming monitor input lag ( i appreciate this may be unrealistic )
  5. Minimal additional setup / settings required

Thanks in advance!

• 60 - 65 inch size / 4K UHD HDR
Last year there were some decent models at 60", this year sadly not. You are looking at 65" mainly now.
I can't really understand the refresh rates as most claim outlandish numbers that are obviously published with the caveat of some additional processing or trickery that comes at a cost presumably.
Any TV you buy you will want to be using game mode to cut out as much processing as possible and reduce input lag. Some TVs let you use BFI in game mode like Samsung models that can increase perceived motion. This is the same tech as on PC monitors with their "ULMB Blur Reduction".

• The equivalent to a 120HZ PC monitor refresh rate in
No console can send over 60hz because of HDMI bandwidth restrictions, so having a TV that has a 120hz panel instead of 60hz is only useful if you plan on using BFI on the TV, most people don't. It can't make 60hz motion look 120hz either, it just helps reduce blur.

The equivalent to a 1ms gaming monitor input lag ( i appreciate this may be unrealistic )
I could be wrong but I think you may be getting that figure mixed up with response time. Monitors often like to boast about response time and state ridiculously low figures on the corner (1ms,2ms,3ms etc) it's not the same as input lag. Actually the response time they advertise is usually a eggerated amount anyway.

TVs now luckily all have low enough input lag, some maybe not as low as monitors but they are all under 50ms which to most people is indistinguishable. If you are sensitive you may want to aim for a TV nearer the 20ms mark than say 35ms.

So input lag vs a monitor may not actually be as different as you think.
Response times vs a monitor, especially a 144hz one are going to be pretty average compared so you get more judder/blur.

1. Minimal additional setup / settings required
Apart from using clear motion if you plan to my recommendation would be the Samsung 65MU7000

Hey guys,

Coming as a heavy PC user I have a real sensitivity to low refresh rates or "judder" "stutter" or a generally non smooth motion. I tend to use 144hz monitors for this reason.

I find console gaming to suffer with either input lag or horrible motion/refresh rate. Now that consoles can pump out 60fps in some titles I'm ready to dip my toes back in.

Anyway to the point, my requirements:

1. 60 - 65 inch size / 4K UHD HDR
  2. £1200 Budget
  3. The equivalent to a 120HZ PC monitor refresh rate in
  4. The equivalent to a 1ms gaming monitor input lag ( i appreciate this may be unrealistic )
  5. Minimal additional setup / settings required

Thanks in advance!

The Sony XE85 is good for gaming, motion and image flicker is great using BFI in game mode, and input lag is 32ms, anything under 50ms is fine for most people, I've just come from a tv which was running at 130-150ms to 1 now that hovers around 10-20ms, and I have seen a tiny difference, to most people this would be not noticed but I used to game on PC with a dedicated monitor so I can pick up these differences. The XE85 also accepts a 120hz signal @ 1080P.

You won't get input lag or response time as low as a gaming monitor yet but some developments are coming with VRR, 120hz@4K within the HDMI 2.1 spec, this however will be another 3-5 years down the line in the mainstream.

Sony X850E: Deep and uniform blacks, could be brighter for HDR - Review

Worth mentioning that the Sony, whilst a good choice because of its ability to display 120hz @ 1080p that will only be supported with a PC. The consoles only support 60hz over HDMI even at 1080p so its next to useless then!

The consoles only support 60hz over HDMI even at 1080p so its next to useless then!

This could well change, the One X is HDMI 2.1 so could in theory allow 120hz @ 4K or maybe 1440P / 2K, but I don't think it has enough power in it to be honest, but I think the next gen will allow these speeds.

Hi,
I'm new to the forum and I want to buy a 65" TV. Most of the time I will use the TV for gaming with PS4 PRO and Netflix. After about 2 days of research I have choose 2 models (you can recommend other models if you think they are better):

1. Samsung UE65NU8502
2. Samsung UE65MU9002
3. Sony KD65XE85

I found them with a price of about1500 euro (which is also my maximum budget).
Now I have UE55KS9002 which I know it`s better then those 2, but it seems to little for the living room and I will move it to my bedroom.

Thanks in advance !

@Katan the best value from those TVs is the Sony XE85 and Samsung MU9000 - but these TVs do not match the capabilities of your KS9000 for HDR. For that you will need to look at TVs like Sony's XE9005 or XE9305 and possibly the Samsung Q7F.

I would avoid any 2018 models as they will probably still be overpriced such as the NU series Samsung you mentioned or the new Samsung QLEDs ending with the FN prefix.

Thank you for your answer @Dodgexander

The idea is that I know that none of them are as good as my KS, but from what I researched I have found out that the NU8502 will be close enough (if I understood correctly???).

I can buy the TV through my company and the prices will be after discounts and promotions :

1. Samsung UE65NU8502 - 1275 euro (there is a 30% discount voucher for this TV)
2. Samsung QE65Q7FN - 1540 euro (there is a 30% discount voucher for this TV)
3. Sony KD65XE9005B - 1350 euro (5 years guaranty)
4. Samsung UE65MU9002 - 1220 euro (there is a 10% discount)

As you can see the 2018 Samsung line-up have better prices because of 30% discount voucher, so which one would you recommend in this budget.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Just found a better offer

1. Samsung QE65Q7FN - 1390 euro (there is a 40% discount voucher for this TV)
2. Samsung QE65Q8CNATXXH- 1570 euro (there is a 40% discount voucher for this TV)

But I need to decide quicly

Thanks

Q7 or Sony model. I think rtings has reviews of both - the Sony is a 2017 model, but still a great tv.

Q7 closest to your KS, picture wise. Sony will have better controlled backlight.

After the new promotion that I have found the prices will be :

1. Samsung QE65Q7FN - 1390 euro (there is a 40% discount voucher for this TV)
2. Samsung QE65Q8CNATXXH- 1670 euro (there is a 40% discount voucher for this TV)
3. Samsung UE65NU8502 - 1150 euro (there is a 30% discount voucher for this TV)
4. Sony KD65XE9005B - 1350 euro (5 years warranty)

Which one of those you think is the best option ???
I would eliminate the Q8 because its has the same specifications as Q7.
Also all the Samsung have only 12 months warranty :(

Q7FN or the Sony. Both are pretty evenly matched. Samsung has better colour with hdr content; Sony has better blacks due to its better backlight arrangement

I will probably go with the Sony as it has 5 years warranty, I hope it will go good with PS4 Pro. I liked the design and the cable managment much more on the Q7FN.
I don`t understand Samsung, a 2017 Sony Led TV is evenly with a 2018 Qled ?!? o_Oo_Oo_O

Thanks,

I wrote the last reply before I saw the new thread. From now on I will write there.

Thx,

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom