1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best TV for Footie viw Cable/Sky

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by TarMoo, Oct 15, 2005.

1. TarMoo

TarMoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    Today I saw a series of LCDs screens side by side in John Lewis Bluewater. Included were the 32 inch screens - Toshiba WLT58, Hitachi 7200, Panasonic LXD500, and Sony KDL 'V'.

At the time BBC1 a Sky Feed football preview was showing. This highlighted some terrible pixilation and other screen defects. So much so that I would be so distracted by the picture flaws from watching the program.

The best picture with respect to flaws was the Toshiba, the worst was the 7200, with the Sony/Panasonic in between. The Toshiba has rather washes out colours compared to the other sets, so it is not perfect in other respects.

All in all, not a good advert for potential buyers. Is this experience repeated in people's homes, or does a dedicated Sky/Digital Cable feed provide a much better picture for fast moving football matches. If so, on which TV?

2. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    IMO the best current LCD for standard def. Sky football is the Sharp P50 series.

3. Jonti

Jonti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Panasonic 500 is the best I've seen in action. Reports say that the 52 is the same panel, so if you're not interested in the extras the 500 offer (SD card slot, PCMCIA slot, VGA input, etc), then you can save yourself £250 and get the 52 instead.

You will not be disappointed.

4. Mackem

Mackem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Surprised you thought the Hitachi 32LD7200 was the worst. I bought mine with the intention of watching footy/cricket etc and spent about 2 months going into shops when I knew football focus or a game was on, just so I could check different sets out. For me, the 7200 stood head and shoulders above anything else, so I eventually bought one. Had it just over a month now and have to say I'm delighted with it. The picture quality and sound are outstanding. I discovered the matrixed sound option during the England game last week and thought I was in the ground! Now if they could somehow manage to waft the scent of Bovril and meat pies through the screen......

I suggest you try viewing in a few different shops, just in case the set up in JL was dodgy.